RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen 8 sata controller

Vance Fox

So i finally have my 4x4tb drives for my storage but the onboard raid controller seems to be questionable at best. And with that I've discovered the pain and agony of wanting my os somewhere other than the four main drives.

I'm trying to boot from the odd port using an ssd. Yes, I know all about the bios problems and that there's a work around using a usb stick/microSD. I've also read, only once though, that using a third controller will allow me to use the ssd as a primary/.boot without causing the main drives to create havoc. Can anyone verify this before I purchase a 4 port controller?

Also, when shifted to raid it will randomly drop the drives and sometimes I only see one or two of the storage bays and the ssd. Anyone else see this? Firmware is from 8/13.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• schoondoggy

• LoneWolf

• Vance Fox

Sounds like you want to boot off an SSD on the ODD SATA port. How are you planning on configuring the other four drives?

It has been a while since I tried this, but I think if you set the controller for B120i RAID, you can set the SSD as a single drive RAID 0 (JBOD) and the other four can be RAID 0, 1, 10 or single drive RAID 0 (JBOD).

You can run the ACU during boot to check the B120i and the drives.

Edited by schoondoggy

That was my original plan to set the odd as primary/boot but the raid card is unstable with the drives. Sometimes it sees 2 and sometimes it sees 4. Problem is it never sees all five (ssd included) unless I'm running achi. I'm pretty sure the bios will allow me to run a third controller as primary/boot but i wanted to check with the group. I do want esata capability so the card won't be wasted.

What drives you using as I'm running an Intel 520 120GB SSD off the optical and 4x4TB WD Red drives in the bays as a pooled group of RAID0 drives managed by the B120i and no issues of any kind. What OS?

For sure this sounds suspicious. Perhaps the B120i needs a firmware update?

What kind of drives are these? I think I recall some people having issues with WD Greens dropping out.

Drives are Seagate ST4000VN000 4TB. All five show in achi. They show, albeit less storage in legacy.

OS is Server 2012 Standard but that doesn't matter as this is a problem in the bios. I'd rather use achi and run z1 anyway.

I have acquired a sata 2 card to test my theory with from work. I'll let you know. I really don't want to use a usb stick to point to my odd port for boot.

Edited by Vance Fox

This does seem odd. Plenty of members are running the B120i in RAID mode, both with the drives in a regular RAID array and with them set up as individual drives in RAID0 (JBOD).

It should work, but I don't think you need it. 

If you go into the BIOS and enable the Dynamic RAID controller (B120i) then use the ACU during boot or one of the offline tools to set up 5 single drive RAID 0 drives, it is the same as JBOD. Plus the fan works better.

I know about the fan speed changes.

Can anyone tell me what the current version of the firmware is? I'll try to find any updates I can