RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
gm85

Ability to turn off alerts about Non HP-SmartMemory Modules

Molasar

Just a note on HP SmartMemory vs KTH-PL316E/8G... (I mentioned this on another post)

I just purchased a brand-new HP Microserver G8 (G2020T with 2Gb RAM) that arrived 2 days ago. I did not power the server on (bear with me)...

I then purchased Kingston KTH-PL316E/8G (two 8Gb sticks). Arrived yesterday.

I popped in the RAM (removing the HP 2Gb stick already there), popped in 4x new Barracuda 500Gb SATA III drives and powered it on (for the first time). One HDD was DOA (being warranty-replaced today or tomorrow), but that's another story

To my surprise, the Kingston RAM shows up as HP SmartMemory, passed ECC validation, and thereafter I get an HP SmartMemory checkmark on boot.

Could it be the memory-upgrade + never-powered-on-before combination that produces this? I'm happy as a clam...

GotNoTime

Could it be the memory-upgrade + never-powered-on-before combination that produces this? I'm happy as a clam...

Doubt it. It checks every boot. It also is powered up by HP during manufacturing for testing. Kingston mist have changed the SPD EEPROM contents. In theory you could back it up to determine what exactly is changed and rewrite other DIMMS but it is risky. Bad SPD data can make the system ignore the DIMM entirely.

Shonk

I have an old p45 motherboard with ddr3 support

even though it wont use the ecc ram i can dump and write the spd data

there's no access to the spd on the microserver

I dumped a stock hp 2gb stick about 18months ago

but didnt bother working out exactly what was added into the spd by hp

I posted about it here somewhere and gave a link to the spd dump

My 8GB Hynix dump is in there also

http://pc.cd/FHSctalK

Edited by Shonk
  • Like 1

GotNoTime

I dumped a stock hp 2gb stick about 18months ago

but didnt bother working out exactly what was added into the spd by hp

Thanks for the two dumps. From a quick look, it appears the HP SmartMemory secret sauce is a modified XMP header at the end. The two magic bytes instead of 0x0C0A are instead 0x4850 which is "HP". The other bytes in the header look to have a different meaning as well.

A SPD dump from other capacity HP SmartMemory would be handy to work out more details. That said, having HP SmartMemory in the Gen8 Microserver doesn't actually do anything extra apart from silencing some warnings so I'd probably just leave it like that myself.

Edited by GotNoTime

thalooka

Sorry for revive such an old Thread but anyone can tell me where i can find the tool to write/read the xmp header?

I got Samsung Memory which got the same partnumber as the one from HP but no HP Sticker, its not detected as SmartMemory sadly... Want to fix this

Smit

Hi All,

Kindly also help me out on this topic my customer purchased Hp Rams 24GB and installed it into the server Now he is telling me Rams works fine but it's giving me errors.

"POST Information: Processor 4, DIMM 8 could not be authenticated as genuine HP SmartMemory. Enhanced and extended HP SmartMemory features will not be active."

"POST Information: Processor 4, DIMM 7 could not be authenticated as genuine HP SmartMemory. Enhanced and extended HP SmartMemory features will not be active."

Kindly help me out, in big trouble if you can advise me whether we could turn off the errors/warnings or some kind of solution we be appreciated.

I