RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
gm85

Ability to turn off alerts about Non HP-SmartMemory Modules

gm85

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a HP Microserver Gen8

One of my first projects was to upgrade the memory form 2GB to 16GB.

I purchased a pair of 8GB DDR3-12000E modules, however these were generic non-Hp-Smartmemory modules.

The modules work great, however every time the server is powered on, rebooted, ILO emails the following alerts:

"POST Information: Processor 1, DIMM 1 could not be authenticated as genuine HP SmartMemory. Enhanced and extended HP SmartMemory features will not be active."

"POST Information: Processor 1, DIMM 2 could not be authenticated as genuine HP SmartMemory. Enhanced and extended HP SmartMemory features will not be active."

Does anybody know if there is a setting that turns off this check/alert? I checked both the BIOS and ILO settings and wasn't able to find anything.

Thanks

tangcla

I've got a Kingston 8GB alongside my HP 2GB and I don't get this error...

gm85

That's Interesting, under the ILO > Information > System Information > Memory, does it list the Kingston as a HP SmartMemory module?

Wonder if that Kingston stick is one of the models HP has approved.

qlYRUjw.jpg

tangcla

No, it's not smart memory in iLO

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

schoondoggy

I'm not able to get to my gen 8 right now, but I think you would need to go in and tell iLo to turn off alerts around this issue. It seems like there is a set up area that allows you to determine what you want to be e-mailed about what you don't want to be e-mailed about

Shimano

Will this affect performance in anyway or its just an alert ? does it influence anything ? do you get to use the RAM for B120i cache if its not HP SmartMemory ?

striff

Will this affect performance in anyway or its just an alert ? does it influence anything ? do you get to use the RAM for B120i cache if its not HP SmartMemory ?

I'd like to know this too.

Just got my iLO working and noticed this "error".

Had no idea otherwise

GotNoTime

I'd like to know this too.

Just got my iLO working and noticed this "error".

Had no idea otherwise

For the Microserver Gen8, there is no advantage for getting HP Smart Memory. There is no disadvantage either except for the message when you power it on and the email if you've got that feature enabled + unlocked. There is no way to silence the warning or email except for fitting real HP Smart Memory.

CaptainFred

I've got this "issue" / annoyance... it only shows as informational in iLO so why send an email?!

I assume no way to turn off informational events only?

I got 2 x KTH-PL316E/8G

Edited by CaptainFred

GotNoTime

I've got this "issue" / annoyance... it only shows as informational in iLO so why send an email?!

Nags you to upgrade to authentic HP RAM basically.

I assume no way to turn off informational events only?

No. I filter them out on my mail server. Besides, it only appears on restart and I very rarely restart so even if I didn't filter, its not that bad. Edited by GotNoTime
  • Like 1