RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
scottbakertemp

can't see shares on bitlocker drives

scottbakertemp

Guys,

I have installed bitlocker on some of my WHS 2011 data drives using the password option.  So after I restart the server I have to remote in and unlock the drives.

After doing this I can access the shares on the bitlocker drives from all clients with no issues.

However none of the shares created on the bitlocker drives show up in the dashboard, so I can't make any changes to them.

Any ideas?  Is there some service I can stop and start again?

jmwills

As long as the volumes are unlocked, I can't see why he dashboard doesn't see the share.

How about a reboot?

ikon

This reeks of being an enumeration problem: i.e. the services that DashBoard relies on to get share info have already enumerated the BitLocker drive and determined there are no shares on it before  you get a chance to unlock the drive and expose the shares.

I forget which service(s) DashBoard is relying on but, if someone can detail them, you might be able to change their settings in Services so they get delayed before being started. I believe someone posted that there's a way to specify how long the delay is too. This might give you enough time to unlock the drive before the service(s) do start.

Alternately, if some does detail which service(s), you create a batch file to stop them, unlock the drive, the another batch file to start them up again.

scottbakertemp

As long as the volumes are unlocked, I can't see why he dashboard doesn't see the share.

How about a reboot?

I tried that - but no luck :(

I believe what ever exe or service checks them in the dashboard runs when the server boots up.  By the time I log in to unlock the drives it's too late.

Drashna Jaelre

Restart the Server service. That may fix the issue.

But the issue here is that the drives are not accessible when the Server service starts.

FYI: the Server service is what handles all the file sharing stuff.

I think you can encrypt the system drive, and then have all the other disks unlock automatically. That would be the ideal situation, but it would require a password, or a USB fob attached during boot.

ikon

Nice thread schoondoggy, despite the in-fighting throughout. Glad we don't have attitude like that on HSS.

Drashna Jaelre

Back before the HSS Forums days... that's why everyone flocked to WGS. Because the MSDN forums .... there are some really nasty people there. Or at least, intolerant of "noobs". Or anyone that doesn't agree with them.  And while I'm sure he's a nice guy, Ken Warran can be a real dick. And he carries the party line VERY hard.

But there are a reason those are "forums" and HSS and WGS and the like are "communities".

ikon

Fair enough.

scottbakertemp

Restart the Server service. That may fix the issue.

But the issue here is that the drives are not accessible when the Server service starts.

FYI: the Server service is what handles all the file sharing stuff.

I think you can encrypt the system drive, and then have all the other disks unlock automatically. That would be the ideal situation, but it would require a password, or a USB fob attached during boot.

The server service didn't work.  However, I tried stopping and starting the windows server storage service.  All the shares show up after that!

I had it setup before to use a USB key to unlock the system drive - that would then auto unlock the data drive.  I prefer the password method on the data drive though, then I don't have to walk to the server.

THANKS GUYS!