RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
scruffters

p222 drive compatibility list

scruffters

Hello guys,

I thought it might be a good idea to start a list of drives that are confirmed to be working with the p222 controller. AFAIK HP don't officially support anything other than their own branded drives.

My motivation for this is to help others that decide to go down the p222 route. However, (admittedly) it will also help me as I am seriously looking to moving over to Seagate NASworks (or maybe WD Red, depending on price). While both have obvious benefits, there aren't many high end cards that officially support them (3ware, Adaptec, Areca etc).

To sum up, it'd be really helpful to compile a list of what actually works well (real world) as we're using effectively unsupported drives with this card. When it comes to my data I don't like to simply hope that a drive will work well.

To get the ball rolling I will go first:

Working: Hitachi 4 x 2TB 6Gbps (H3D20006472S)

Drive FW: A10 FW

Other notes: 24/7 use in RAID5 array

tangcla

Working: WD Red 3 x 3TB 6Gbps

Other notes: 24/7 use in RAID5 array

I should really get a fourth disk for RAID10...

psikey

Mine works with 4x3TB WD Red 6Gbps and also 4x4TB WD Red 6Gbps. Had running as RAID5

LoneWolf

Working - Samsung Ecogreen HD204UI  2TB(the original Samsung-made drives, not the Seagates relabeled as Samsung)

Working - Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB

Both types of drives coexist peacefully in a RAID-5 array, as they did with an HP SmartArray P410 before that.

schoondoggy

1. Four drive RAID 5 Seagate ST2000DL004 SATA- relabeled Samsung HD204UI- see LoneWolf note above

2. Four drive RAID 5 Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632 SATA

3. Four drive RAID 5 Seagate Constellation SAS ST32000444SS

capvid86

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T

16GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 Micron/Adata ADDE1600W8G9

B120i RAID-1 dual Samsung 840 PRO SSDs Win Server 2012E

P222/512 FBWC RAID-5 4x3TB WD30EFRX

scruffters

Has anybody tried Seagate NAS drives with the P222 yet?

I've seen them on eBuyer for fairly cheap and since WD Reds are now a bit of an unknown regarding the whole WDIDLE problem, I'm tempted to give these a shot.

http://www.ebuyer.com/514999-seagate-4tb-3-5-sata-nas-hard-drive-st4000vn000

Like everybody I read the backblaze article on drive reliability, but it seems a bit unfair to Seagate as the test was using a drive that was known to have issues.

GotNoTime

They should be fine. They're just regular drives with some tweaks like the WD Red drives. Just avoid the Seagate Archive drives unless you're okay to accept the limitations with them.

I've seen them on eBuyer for fairly cheap and since WD Reds are now a bit of an unknown regarding the whole WDIDLE problem, I'm tempted to give these a shot.

AFAIK the drives have a sensible parking timer now. There is a WD Red specific tool/update on the WD website but it doesn't do anything on recent drives.

Like everybody I read the backblaze article on drive reliability, but it seems a bit unfair to Seagate as the test was using a drive that was known to have issues.

The Backblaze test data is quite biased and specific to their situation. They didn't follow rigorous testing procedures which is understandable. I think recent Seagate drives have been fine. They've had several dud models in the past but so have the other manufacturers. Everybody has a set of drive manufacturers that they've had nightmare problems with and another set that they swear by even though they're quite often switched around depending on the person.

scruffters

They should be fine. They're just regular drives with some tweaks like the WD Red drives. Just avoid the Seagate Archive drives unless you're okay to accept the limitations with them.

AFAIK the drives have a sensible parking timer now. There is a WD Red specific tool/update on the WD website but it doesn't do anything on recent drives.

Thanks for the help GotNoTime.

In the end, I bit the bullet and paid a little bit more for the HGST NAS 4TB, which I have used with this controller before.

That said, its good to hear somebody clarify a little bit about the WD RED. The internet is littered with junk about this issue. I'll probably go standard red (not pro) on my next build.

The reds are noticeably quieter than the HGST NAS drives, presumably due to lower RPM.

The Backblaze test data is quite biased and specific to their situation. They didn't follow rigorous testing procedures which is understandable. I think recent Seagate drives have been fine. They've had several dud models in the past but so have the other manufacturers. Everybody has a set of drive manufacturers that they've had nightmare problems with and another set that they swear by even though they're quite often switched around depending on the person.

I mostly took it with a pinch of salt anyway  :)

LoneWolf

http://www.ebuyer.com/514999-seagate-4tb-3-5-sata-nas-hard-drive-st4000vn000

While I have been bitten by some bad Seagate drives, the real reason I use WD Reds is because should I need to RMA one, I have found WD to have an easier RMA process, though it's possible that has changed.

From what I hear, Hitachi has the best, but the Reds are priced well, and performance with the P222 has been more than acceptable.