RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recorded TV similar to WHS2011 on 2012 Essentials R2?

sprtfan

I've been using Windows Server Std R2 with the Essentials role installed and have been very happy with it.  I still have my WHS2011 up and running also and realized today that I'm still using it to store all of my recorded TV shows.  I have a HTPC with Windows 7 and record shows through WMC.  The recorded shows then get moved automatically to the Recorded TV shows folder on the server.  Can this be done with Windows Server 2012 R2 as well?  I looked around and found a link to download a Media Pack that added a folder called Recorded TV.  Will WMC see it and push shows to it just like it did with my WHS2011 server? 

I'm using a HDHomerun for my tuner.  Would there be a way to just record the shows directly to the server?  Thanks

I installed the Media Pack and there is not a folder named Recorded TV after installing.  I did get folders named Video, Music, and Pictures though.  If recorded TV no longer an option? 

As Windows Media Center is an Add-On you must purchase, and the XBOX One is not a WMC extender.... and Microsoft has been pushing their XBOX Video (or Windows Video) store for a while now.... I think they're intentionally killing of Media Center.

Which is sad, because only in the last year or so have cable companies been implementing the "whole home DVR" services, which look, act and function just like WMC at their core...... :'(

Thanks to bad, I can get some of the function back just recording the shows and keeping them local to the windows 7 WMC HTPC and then use Synctoy to move the files to the server.  At least I think this should work since I haven't tried it yet. 

Yup.

Sadly, this is a large part of why I just gave up, and moved to Usenet and Sickbeard/CouchPotato for downloading my TVs and movies.

On the plus side... depending on the country you live in ..... This doesn't violate the DMCA. I'm ..... not distributing the files (outside of my home network, and PLEASE ignore my subsonic server :P ), so I'm not violating any laws, so no C&D's or ISP turning me off.   We still have DirecTV (which uses the whole home DVR stuff, using MoCA), but I'm not the one paying for it.

I'll might give synctoy a try but I'm probably going to look into Sickbeard as well.  Where to you get your nzb files from? (sorry if this type of question shouldn't be asked here and delete)

Mostly from Sickbeard actually. It has it's own built in indexer. And it supports newznab sites, so you can set up a custom index.

• 2 weeks later...

As Windows Media Center is an Add-On you must purchase, and the XBOX One is not a WMC extender.... and Microsoft has been pushing their XBOX Video (or Windows Video) store for a while now.... I think they're intentionally killing of Media Center.

Which is sad, because only in the last year or so have cable companies been implementing the "whole home DVR" services, which look, act and function just like WMC at their core...... :'(

Sorry, I was trolling, but MS is for lack of a better term,  stupid,  they want  to sell more content, add a windows store plugin to media center, how many homes have a PC, more than those that have xbox's, and those with an Xbox are more thank likely owned by folks like us, or are in there kids bedroom, far removed from the target market, the non technical running an apple TV or ruku.   MS has far more devices in circulation, capitalize on it, MS needs to lock folks in to their eco system, and they can start by saying, plug your PC in to your TV, with the launch of intel's integrated GPU some 4-5 years ago, how easy would it be to connect any Icore Laptop to a TV via HDMI?  A breeze, and for the most part any icore laptop would be more than enough to push streamed HD content.  MS continues to miss the boat, and it makes me very sad.    Love media center, Ceton, and my WHS. I'm trying to love windows phone.  MS Give me some love.

• Like 1

No I don't think MS are being stupid at all, from a purely business perspective killing off Media Center is a perfectly logical move. Other than us enthusiasts nobody, but nobody wants to have a PC under their TV - it's been tried many, many times and always failed; setting up, configuring, and more importantly, maintaining a PC is not a trivial process for the vast majority of people. What most want is a simple, turn on this box and there's my content, not 'hang on while I attach this HDMI cable, fire up the right application, dismiss the 'You have pending Windows updates' box which always seems to pop up at the most annoying time and finally find what you want to watch and settle down.

Probably like many of you, I am prepared to invest the time and effort involved in getting everything working and finally end up with a DVR which is far better and more capable that any cable company supplied box, but the stark fact is that we are in a small minority, most people just want the convenience of a straight-forward plug it in and then forget about it forever system.

Until recently, when it became a paid-for extra, MS made precisely zero income on Media Center, Media Center can never lock anyone in the MS ecosystem simple because it's a PC, it's open - why pay MS for content if I can use loads of alternatives. Once a copy of Windows was purchased then that was it, people got content over free to air broadcasts or cable subscriptions and MS got nothing back. From their perspective how much better to have a system which was far more 'user-friendly' and likely to find a place under the TV(this of course being the X-box), and then sell ongoing subscriptions to use it fully and get content.

I've used Media Center for years, it's miles ahead of any other similar product but frankly if I was in charge I've have killed it myself ages ago as a dangerous competitor to where I'd be wanting to go, ie a locked-in, subscription based service - I don't want you recording and keeping live broadcasts of 'Breaking Bad', I want you to rent them from my online store, and keep them all in the cloud, which of course I control. I'd be looking with envy at the Apple TV, small, cheap, easy to connect up, reasonably foolproof to use, and driving loads of traffic to the iTunes store, where naturally Apple can make a nice profit.

Yes, I suppose they could add a store option to Media Center, but they have absolutely no reason to do that, and quite a few reasons not to. You want to get people renting and purchasing through the MS store? Then push the X-box for all its worth and certainly don't also offer a competing product.

/endrant

Anyway just my 2c (or maybe 2p considering which side of the Atlantic I'm on).

John