RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving Data Drive from old WHS to new GEN8 server

4BeachBums

I have a new GEN8 Microserver running Windows 2012 R2 to replace my dead(-ish) WHS. I pulled one of the drives from the old server and need to understand the best way to have it accessible in the new server without having to format it. It is recognized in the new server as a physical disk but I do not understand how to get it assigned a logical drive letter without adding it to an array as it seems that this would erase the valuable data. The only utility I can find is the HP Array Configuration to deal with the drives.

I have a 1TB drive in the new server with the OS and a 800GB+ data volume which should be enough room to copy the data onto from the old server drive if I can figure out how to get access to it.

Drashna Jaelre

Since I'm not familar with the HP Array controller, does it have a legacy or pass through option?

4BeachBums

I will review the documentation today for the controller and see if there is a legacy option. I was hoping there would be an easy way in the interface to add the drive but, alas, I can't seem to find it.

As a side note, the hp controller documentation says that it is "not yet" capable of handling 2012 Storage Spaces so array config seems the only option.

If you put that drive into a USB toaster dock and it's not recognized and given a drive letter, you will have to use some other way of getting the system to recognize it. As a precaution, I would backup or clone that drive to a spare before trying anything.

4BeachBums

Old server is WHS V1 - HP495. I decided to skip WHS2011 and go straight to 2012R2 with Essentials Role-hoping to get many years of use without rebuilding. The drive I removed from the old server is one of three that the data is spread across with Drive Extender. It "should" have all the data. 

I am going to attach it as USB and see if that is a viable option.

Yes, it should have all the data that was on it at least. Have you tried connecting it to a Win7 computer and see if it's recognized?

Drashna Jaelre

If it's at least recognized, then all the data is in the hidden "DE" folder.

Also have you checked device manager to see if the device is recognized at all? And if so, check disk management.

But I know usually if the disk isn't assigned to an array, it usually passes the disk through.