RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Poppapete

ip Camera

ikon

All this is well and good guys but my brother-in-law told me the best way to add surveillance capability to my house would be to buy a pre-packaged system, such as those from Costco. He was an expert in CCTV systems, particularly surveillance and access control systems, with more than 30 years experience. In fact, he ran his own, well-respected company. He once told me, "I could sell you all kinds of gear to do the job and, in the end, it wouldn't be any better than the pre-packaged systems coming out of China. You just can't beat the value of these systems." Something to think about.

nrf

I am reminded of the old 'all-in-one -vs- components' discussions back in the day regarding stereos.

In the short run one of these systems will provide some benefit in price over buying bits and pieces each chosen to your spec. in the long run some people may expand their needs beyond the capacity of the package and end up doing components anyway. I bought a 4-camera system myself and so far have been living within its limitations. However, one of its limitations that I didn't recognize at the time was that the 'simple poe' is of proprietary nature and you are stuck with the cameras having to be attached to the unit itself. A fair trade in the short run for cost saving, but in the long, not so much. As a result, the box is in an outbuilding that is less than secure from the 'steal the box too' attack, so I run a second copy of the video into into a server in a more secure location. At least I would have the 'leading up to the loss of video' record in that case. 

all in all, the package is a great value especially for those with simple needs - plenty of storage, the cameras do the compression, and I can connect to it from my android either via home wifi or the internet. For those with fixed needs they serve a great purpose and for others they can at least provide you with a starting point while you figure out what you really need in the long run. The topic is so rich and the technology is constantly improving, but I believe such packages serve a useful purpose.

(please don't start a flame war over this)

Edited by nrf

itGeeks

All this is well and good guys but my brother-in-law told me the best way to add surveillance capability to my house would be to buy a pre-packaged system, such as those from Costco. He was an expert in CCTV systems, particularly surveillance and access control systems, with more than 30 years experience. In fact, he ran his own, well-respected company. He once told me, "I could sell you all kinds of gear to do the job and, in the end, it wouldn't be any better than the pre-packaged systems coming out of China. You just can't beat the value of these systems." Something to think about.

I am sorry I disagree. This only works for some but not others. Those pre-packaged systems have limitations and I for one don't want to be limited by a store purchased pre-packaged system

I am reminded of the old 'all-in-one -vs- components' discussions back in the day regarding stereos.

In the short run one of these systems will provide some benefit in price over buying bits and pieces each chosen to your spec. in the long run some people may expand their needs beyond the capacity of the package and end up doing components anyway. I bought a 4-camera system myself and so far have been living within its limitations. However, one of its limitations that I didn't recognize at the time was that the 'simple poe' is of proprietary nature and you are stuck with the cameras having to be attached to the unit itself. A fair trade in the short run for cost saving, but in the long, not so much. As a result, the box is in an outbuilding that is less than secure from the 'steal the box too' attack, so I run a second copy of the video into into a server in a more secure location. At least I would have the 'leading up to the loss of video' record in that case. 

all in all, the package is a great value especially for those with simple needs - plenty of storage, the cameras do the compression, and I can connect to it from my android either via home wifi or the internet. For those with fixed needs they serve a great purpose and for others they can at least provide you with a starting point while you figure out what you really need in the long run. The topic is so rich and the technology is constantly improving, but I believe such packages serve a useful purpose.

(please don't start a flame war over this)

Agreed +1

itGeeks

ikon,

I have spent several thousand dollars trying to do things on the cheap side only to spend even more money to correct my mistake so for me I spend good money upfront so I am not limited in the end. One example would be I no longer try and use a desktop computer to run a server OS like WSE2012, I now purchase a true server from supper micro. second if I have the NVR software already and the storage then y would I want a store purchased package that limits my expansion? I am not saying this would not work for some but for me I would rather build my own and keep the possibility open, What if I decide I want to change camera brands down the road but the NVR you got in Ur great deal from Costco only supports a certain camera, Then what? there goes my bargen price and I get to start over. No thanks.

I agree with nrf (please don't start a flame war over this)

Edited by MrFixit

ikon

No flame wars needed. The only thing I would add is that packages with 10 or more cameras and 1080p @ 30 FPS can be had for less than $2,000 these days. I know, for my situation, 10 cameras would be plenty. Others may need more.

Poppapete

No flame wars needed. The only thing I would add is that packages with 10 or more cameras and 1080p @ 30 FPS can be had for less than $2,000 these days. I know, for my situation, 10 cameras would be plenty. Others may need more.

10 Hikvisions as we have described would cost less than $800 and I bet they are better cameras than the Costco ones.

No flame wars needed :D

nrf

When starting down this path, some people may not know how far they want to travel. In fact, sometimes just getting started down the path leads to increased perception of how it could be used and what does and does not make sense for their situation. The best I could do at the time was decide I didn't want analog cameras, I had a specific need for IR illumination range, and a limited budget. Within those constraints I did what made sense. Over time we can learn more and adopt more as finances and technical understanding accumulate. There may be some waste when the original equipment doesn't fully support the refined path. On the other hand, some people may just have a specific need and limited time/energy for exploring the whole realm of the technology. For them such a package may be all they ever need.

Having said that, I would guess that most people in these forums are predisposed to relentless pursuit of technological advances :)

The best thing someone starting out could have is some community of experienced people to help them understand what is possible, what is reasonable, and what some of the pitfalls are. So hopefully we can help anyone wishing to approach this journey to the extent of our abilities.

itGeeks

I added a TP-Link 4 port POE switch to my 24 port switch just for my cameras. Works great. Dahua and Hikvision make a huge range of 3mp cameras with very good night vision. I buy mine on es with free shipping from China. I too use the

Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I for outdoor use. I am a BlueIris fan.

$80

• is_customized:Yes
  • Technology:Infrared
  • Type:IP Camera
  • Brand Name:Hikvision
  • Sensor:CMOS
  • High Definition:1080P(Full-HD)
  • Style:Mini Camera
  • Model Number:DS-2CD2032-I
  • Special Features:IP66 Waterproof
  • Style:Bullet Camera
  • Model Number:DS-2CD2032-I
  • Max. Image Resolution:2048 x 1536
  • Lens:4mm @F2.0, angle of view: 79°
  • Image Sensor:1/3" Progressive Scan CMOS
  • Video Compression:H.264/M-JPEG
  • System Compatibility:ONVIF, PSIA, CGI, ISAPI
  • Power Supply:12 VDC ± 10%, PoE (802.3af)
Dimensions:60.4x76.9x139.28 mm Weight:500g (1.1 lbs)

poppapete - What resolution are you running the DS-2CD2032-I at? Also I notice you purchased your cams from Aliexpress, Do you have access to the firmware updates & support? 

Edited by MrFixit

Jason

Perhaps a stupid question...my apology... But if you add a PoE switch, can you use standard Cat 5E cable? Does the switch just add power over the cable run? And is there a max distance than power can be sent over the cable?

Also, am looking for a TP-Link 8 ports switch preferably with POE on all 8 ports? I could then start adding cameras gradually.

Edited by Jason

Jason

Also it appears Amazon Prime has the DS-2CD2032-I outdoor IP camera for $112/ea (non-retail box).