RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Poppapete

ip Camera

ikon

Drashna, do you have plans to move to HD cams?

Drashna Jaelre

Eventually. yes.

It's a singificant investment to do so, though. For the cameras, for the bandwidth, for the CPU usage, and the disk space for recording.

I'd love to do so right now, but it's not a priority.

Poppapete

I had my 3 X 3MP cameras on the server and was worried about the constant CPU load so finally setup a separate win 8 box using an old i3 board. All the video files are still stored on the server, they don't seem to use a lot of space and the CPU is much "happier".

Drashna Jaelre

I had my 3 X 3MP cameras on the server and was worried about the constant CPU load so finally setup a separate win 8 box using an old i3 board. All the video files are still stored on the server, they don't seem to use a lot of space and the CPU is much "happier".

Same. Well, I think you mentioned it, and I thought it was a good idea.

However, I had a spare AMD APU system. May replace it though, as it pumps out heat. 

Though, I have 4x TrendNET TV-IP551WI, an Linksys POS camera (got free), and a Foscam FI8910W.

They work well (except the linksys) and have night(IR) modes. However, the Foscam seems to be much better about allowing BlueIris to switch between modes.

Poppapete

Yes probably have mentioned it before somewhere here. When you get old like me you will be doing the same I can assure you.

I did intend to upgrade the CPU to an i5 but so far no need to.

Jason

I have an i5 CPU in my WSE12R2 box that's a multipurpose server. Currently it runs Blueiris with 1 Foscam indoor day/night IP camera. Was exploring adding 3-4 outdoor cameras but would need them to also be HD and support night vision. Can anyone recommend a good IP camera model that supports POE? Also if I have no other POE devices on my network, what hardware is required to connect these cameras with data and power over Ethernet? Thanks!

Drashna Jaelre

Foscam does have HD and night vision (IR) cameras. As well as ones that support PoE

To set up PoE, you'd need to use a PoE injector (or switch). And I'd recommend ONLY plugging in PoE devices.

itGeeks

I have an i5 CPU in my WSE12R2 box that's a multipurpose server. Currently it runs Blueiris with 1 Foscam indoor day/night IP camera. Was exploring adding 3-4 outdoor cameras but would need them to also be HD and support night vision. Can anyone recommend a good IP camera model that supports POE? Also if I have no other POE devices on my network, what hardware is required to connect these cameras with data and power over Ethernet? Thanks!

Hi Jason,

I use to be a big Foscam fan boy till I got tired of the cameras falling of my network every time i turned around and I also got tired of the painful firmware upgrades. For some reason Foscam does not have a very smooth firmware update process meaning that if you fall behind on any firmware updates you are required to go back and install all the past updates before you can get the latest installed on your camera's and that's just pure BS. Also there outdoor camera's for a home environment is just god awful big & ugly So off I went looking for another brand. After several weeks reading reviews I settled on these two camera's by Hikvision & I could not be more happy. they support 1080P @30 fps and they support 3MP @20 fps.

For indoor I use Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW 3MP Indoor IR Wifi Cube Camera 2.8mm

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/hikvision-ds-2cd2432f-iw-3mp-cube-camera.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw0LmoBRDHuo7UkaKXhn8SJADmDTG08JxLY8lZA8MT4D7Z9muD_7Lb8xfqweYhFZFkFQjE9BoC1eTw_wcB

See review here: http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2236

For outdoor I use Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I Outdoor HD 3MP IP Bullet Security Camera 4mm

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=Hikvision+DS-2CD2032-I

See review here: http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1791

I purchased mine from nellyssecurity, They have been great to work with and they also provide free tech support as well as the firmware updates for these camera's but you don't have to purchase the cameras from them, these camera's are also sold on Amazon but I don't know if they provide free tech support or the firmware updates so please be careful if you purchase these camera's from another source. the reason I say this is because you wont find Hikvision on store shelf's and they don't sell or support directly to the general public, they only sell threw an authorized re-seller chain.

I would be more then happy to post a link on here to my cameras for anyone to see, just let me know if you want me to. I cant do this though for a couple of days because I am migrating my NAS at the moment.

I hope this helps.

Edited by MrFixit

Poppapete

I added a TP-Link 4 port POE switch to my 24 port switch just for my cameras. Works great. Dahua and Hikvision make a huge range of 3mp cameras with very good night vision. I buy mine on aliexpress with free shipping from China. I too use the

Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I for outdoor use. I am a BlueIris fan.

$80

• is_customized:Yes
  • Technology:Infrared
  • Type:IP Camera
  • Brand Name:Hikvision
  • Sensor:CMOS
  • High Definition:1080P(Full-HD)
  • Style:Mini Camera
  • Model Number:DS-2CD2032-I
  • Special Features:IP66 Waterproof
  • Style:Bullet Camera
  • Model Number:DS-2CD2032-I
  • Max. Image Resolution:2048 x 1536
  • Lens:4mm @F2.0, angle of view: 79°
  • Image Sensor:1/3" Progressive Scan CMOS
  • Video Compression:H.264/M-JPEG
  • System Compatibility:ONVIF, PSIA, CGI, ISAPI
  • Power Supply:12 VDC ± 10%, PoE (802.3af)
Dimensions:60.4x76.9x139.28 mm Weight:500g (1.1 lbs)

itGeeks

For the PoE switch I use Ubiquiti TS-8-PRO ToughSwitch 8 Port Advanced Power Ethernet Controllers

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXU1NHY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I2NLX8805SZ9S8

I use to use the D-Link DGS-1008P 8-Port PoE Gigabit Desktop Switch but I outgrew the four PoE ports this switch provides so instead of purchasing anther D-Link and having to daisy chain the switches I decided to spend good money and just purchase one 8 port switch that has PoE on all 8 ports & would stand up well in the hot/cold weather

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DGS-1008P-8-Port-Gigabit-Desktop/dp/B004FJSSTW I still have this switch if you or anyone else would like to make me an offer to purchase it then PM me.

Edited by MrFixit