RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Poppapete

ip Camera

2percenter

Just to add my 2 cents...

In regard to the software I made good experience with this one http://www.c-mor.com/ have a 3 camera solution running as a VM on ESXI, works nice.

In regard to cameras, I have tested a view and if youre looking for outdoor,I would recommend this one.

http://www.vivotek.com/web/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Model=ip8332

It has POE, 1 MP which is good enough and you can attach a RJ45 cable directly !

Just make sure that you find a good spot.

I dont use a zoom for some reason, its a mechanic which can get damaged...

ikon

re: the Vivotek: 1280x800 is pretty good (in fact it would be excellent for an analogue camera ;) ), but I do prefer 1080p these days, at least for outdoor cams. However, the frame rate, 25/30, is pretty amazing for that resolution. I would happily give up 10 fps to get 1080p.

The C-Mor product looks interesting, although, at almost $100US/cam it's a little pricey... not a lot, but a little. I do like the idea of it having pre-built VMs though -- that's cool -- especially since they have them for so many different platforms.

Thanks for all the info.

2percenter

Well, I use the surveillance only for toying around, would love to have higher resolution cameras, but they are expensive....and yes, the C-Mor is a bit pricey, but I did get a good deal, and you don't need to spend the money for the OS. You start the VM, add your cam and your good to go....

By the way, those are famous over here in Europe....(they can operate at very low temperatures without heating, that's seems to get important in the US as well those days :-) )

http://www.mobotix.com/

Might be even better than axis...

@Ikon, this is yours, as you love high res....

http://www.mobotix.com/other/content/view/full/4648

Color: 2048 x 1536 (3Mega)

(-22°F to +140°F)

and only 4 watt power consumption

Dont look at the price. but you can select your optics as well...

Regards

ikon

I've heard about those; pan & tilt without panning  & tilting. I've always wondered just how well it works. Neat idea if it does. And the price isn't that scary if it can cover a larger area with the digital P&T -- it could replace several non-P&T cams.

And if you think the low-temp capability is good for the USA, just think how important it is in Canada ;)

lostinaberdeen

Just my 2 cents:

I've been running 3 d-link 932l WiFi, no pan & tilt but night vision enabled for 2 years now over a 3G router back home (I'm working on another country for the moment) and it has been working great! The fact that they are always through dlink's website or through the mobile app is what made me go for them. It's the kiss approach (keep I simple stupid) :)

Enviado do meu Nexus 7 através de Tapatalk

itGeeks

The Synology records your daughter's cameras well? If so, that's pretty impressive. What's the max resolution it supports?

ikon,

Sorry it took me so long to respond back to you. Yes the Synology Surveillance Station records my daughter's cameras very well. As for the max resolution her cameras are only 640x480, she has three of them and they all record fine, If your asking whats the max resolution for Synology then that's camera dependent meaning when you setup the camera in Synology Surveillance Station you pick the make & model of the camera and then you can pick the res you want from the list on setup. I have five HD 720p cameras with 1280x720 resolution and it records all of them fine also.

Edited by Mr Fixit

ikon

What was impressing me was being able to record over the Interne. Granted, 640x480 isn't hi-rez, but it's still pretty good over the Internet.

itGeeks

Part of the answer depends on what resolution you plan to use.

If you want to have 1080p (what I recommend these days) then I would put them on their own LAN. It's not that big a deal to do. It's what I always do for commercial installations.

However, to be fair, a couple of cameras, even 1080p, aren't likely to hinder your network very much. What I would be more concerned with is your network interfering with video from the cameras, especially during large file transfers between your LAN computers.

PoE is a great way to go. Just make sure you get a switch that has enough PoE ports -- you're likely to want more cameras once you get the 'video surveillance bug' ;)

I'm getting ready to install IP video at my house. I haven't up til now because the analogue video I've been using has been working so well. However, the DVR is getting long in the tooth and it's time to think about a change. I have 10 cameras: 2 on each side of the house each looking the opposite way, plus 1 at the front door and another inside the house. They're all set for 'motion record', which saves on disk space usage and, frankly, makes searching recorded video easier because you can skip through it more quickly.

ikon,

What Brand of 1080P Cameras do you use? Make and Model and mega pixel Please?? I am using Foscam FI9895W for outdoor use at my home, They are 720P resalution with great night vision. I have tried many much more expensive cameras like VivoTech, Sony, Panasonic and the Night Vision is relay bad. As far as I am concerned the Price/Performance of my Foscams FI9805W wich is a 1.3 MP/720P camera with a 70 Degree viewing angle has been untouched by any other vendors cameras. The link for the specs of my Foscam FI9805W http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi9805w-wireless-ip-camera.html I have setup a user name and password for temporary access to my cameras, Please have a look and tell me what you think of the picture and if your 1080P cameras are going to blow my cams away without breaking the bank. The Link and user name & Password to log in to my cameras is below. Anyone interested may log in to view my cams for a short time only. Use Microsoft IE to log in and not Chrome because I am having trouble with Chrome

User Name: Demo321

Password: demO2014

Edited by Mr Fixit

Poppapete

After much research I have settled on a Hikvision DS-CD2032-I ($138.00) a 3MP Outdoor rated Bullet Camera and a similar Dahua IPC-HFW4300S ($125.00). Both bought from China on Alibaba with free postage. Only the Hikvision has arrived so far. I had to change the IP address using SADP tool from there website. No trouble getting it going via a browser. Then tried their software. GUI not very friendly but works. Then tried ISpy and ran into lots of trouble. Finally tried Blue Iris . All I can say is that it is streets ahead of the other software for a novice like me. Easy to set up the motion alerts, recording schedules and file structure. Only downside is that after 15 days I will have to pay for it.  I can't comment on the vision quality as this is my first camera but it looks brilliant

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

Yeah, Blue Iris is very simple to use and setup, and has a lot of options too.

The webserver part of it doesn't get the greatest quality though. But that may not be important to you, as it's definitely "watchable".