RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Poppapete

ip Camera

ikon

Where the resolution really helps is when the police get involved. They are much more amenable to arresting someone if they can really make a positive ID from the surveillance footage. That can be quite hard to do at lower resolutions, but I hear you about the cost. Prices are coming down though.

FiLiNuX

What / where do you back up your surveillance video to?  For example when one of my camera's  records something it goes to the server that is running Motion and is instantly copied to a second hidden device at another location.  In case someone decides they would like to add my PC's & server to their shopping list.  Do any of you back up recordings to a offsite server / service in real time?  

You are correct about the police Ikon and courts for that matter further down the road.

ikon

In most of my situations the DVR/NVR is secured in a locked room.

Jason

Drashna, my BlueIris values are as follows:

Motion/Trigger

Trigger if motion occurs for at least: 1.0 sec

End trigger unless re-triggered within: 5 sec

Record

Pre-Trigger frame buffet size: 60

Do these seem right? Thanks.

pcdoc

I'll agree with the IP camera "bug".  I've definitely been bitten.

Though, pcdoc, have you tried BlueIris? And if so, what's your opinion of it?

I ask, because I use it, and am very happy with it.

Have not tried these yet.  Will look into them.  Thanks for the lead.

Poppapete

WOW, lots of stuff. Had a look at Ispy connect. Looks the goods.  Comes in 32 or 64 bit versions. I presume 64 bit better in this situation. Will it load on essentials 2012 and if so is it better there than on a windows 8 machine ( or maybe a dedicated virtual machine)?

I live in an appartment and will not be using many cameras so will probably go 1080p.

Never thought about security of the files and the fact that an intruder may destroy the  evidence!!!!!

ikon

Yeah, an apartment doesn't need too much: a camera to cover the balcony if you have one, a camera to cover the front door, maybe a 3rd to cover the general insides of the apartment. If your apartment is below the 4th floor, you might want to include cameras for windows in bedrooms, etc. as well.

Drashna Jaelre

Drashna, my BlueIris values are as follows:

Motion/Trigger

Trigger if motion occurs for at least: 1.0 sec

End trigger unless re-triggered within: 5 sec

Record

Pre-Trigger frame buffet size: 60

Do these seem right? Thanks.

Yes, those do see fine. I'll have to test on my own system to see how well those work. But mostly use for monitoring animals/family (dad is retired, and "not exactly" in good health, so piece of mind for my mom)

WOW, lots of stuff. Had a look at Ispy connect. Looks the goods.  Comes in 32 or 64 bit versions. I presume 64 bit better in this situation. Will it load on essentials 2012 and if so is it better there than on a windows 8 machine ( or maybe a dedicated virtual machine)?

I live in an appartment and will not be using many cameras so will probably go 1080p.

Never thought about security of the files and the fact that an intruder may destroy the  evidence!!!!!

Yes, you'd want 64 bit if they have an option. As for running on 2012.... that's a good question. I know for a fact that BlueIris does, AND it runs as a system service. Which is why I really like it.

Yeah, an apartment doesn't need too much: a camera to cover the balcony if you have one, a camera to cover the front door, maybe a 3rd to cover the general insides of the apartment. If your apartment is below the 4th floor, you might want to include cameras for windows in bedrooms, etc. as well.

These are all very, very good pointers for camera placement. 

itGeeks

I'll agree with the IP camera "bug".  I've definitely been bitten.

Though, pcdoc, have you tried BlueIris? And if so, what's your opinion of it?

I ask, because I use it, and am very happy with it.

I Have tried BlueIris but did not like it, I had trouble whith recording Off-site cameras from my Daughters house as well as Live view was not great and I did not like the interface. I now use my Synology DS1812+ for my recordings and I love it, The only bad thing is it cost 50.00 per camera License. I may take another look at iSpy Connect but I don't think it does 1280X720 at least I could not find any setting the other day when I tried it after Mike post about it.

ikon

The Synology records your daughter's cameras well? If so, that's pretty impressive. What's the max resolution it supports?