RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Poppapete

ip Camera

Poppapete

I don't have any surveillance camera's at my place and want to try a couple. Would like some idea of what people here use.

Should they be on a separate LAN?

Do I need zoom?

poe seems they way to go so that only one cable required!

pc doc recommends ispyconnect open source software!

Can I record to  Server 2012E?

ikon

Part of the answer depends on what resolution you plan to use.

If you want to have 1080p (what I recommend these days) then I would put them on their own LAN. It's not that big a deal to do. It's what I always do for commercial installations.

However, to be fair, a couple of cameras, even 1080p, aren't likely to hinder your network very much. What I would be more concerned with is your network interfering with video from the cameras, especially during large file transfers between your LAN computers.

PoE is a great way to go. Just make sure you get a switch that has enough PoE ports -- you're likely to want more cameras once you get the 'video surveillance bug' ;)

I'm getting ready to install IP video at my house. I haven't up til now because the analogue video I've been using has been working so well. However, the DVR is getting long in the tooth and it's time to think about a change. I have 10 cameras: 2 on each side of the house each looking the opposite way, plus 1 at the front door and another inside the house. They're all set for 'motion record', which saves on disk space usage and, frankly, makes searching recorded video easier because you can skip through it more quickly.

• Like 1

schoondoggy

Software is been the biggest issue in my playing with IP cameras.

I agree, PC docs article on ispyconnect open software looks very promising.

http://thedocsworld.net/ispy-connectat-last-ip-camera-software-works/

Before you pick cameras determine what it actually is you're trying to cover, internal or external or both. 

Watch the deal section I seem to find a lot of IP camera deals and post them as I see them. 

The deals might not be available in Australia but it will give you an idea of what the cameras are selling for.

pcdoc

I don't have any surveillance camera's at my place and want to try a couple. Would like some idea of what people here use.

Should they be on a separate LAN?

Do I need zoom?

poe seems they way to go so that only one cable required!

pc doc recommends ispyconnect open source software!

Can I record to  Server 2012E?

Still an avid fan of iSpy Connect as it is still the best solution out there.  As for POE, it is obviously a great way to go but it will certainly be a bit more costly.  I only run 640x480 but the detail of the sensor on Smarthome is more than enough for what I am doing (see the link below for some examples).  As for Zoom, that depends on what you are doing.  I am only monitoring 3 indoor, 2 garage, and 1 external location and have not had the need for zoom.  Again that is application dependent as well as the type of camera you choose.  I found that the range of view is very different from MFG to MFG.  With 6 cameras at that resolution, it does not even register on my network so network saturation is not an issue for me.  That said, if you use POE you will have separate cables and switches anyway.  The other thing to consider is that my cameras are only on when I am away so even if they hit the network hard, it will not mess me up as I would not be there.

http://thedocsworld.net/smarthome-ip-camera/

ikon

I agree about the software schoondoggy. The real issue for me is frames-per-second. Many of the lower priced kits, such as those from Lorex Technology offer low price (relatively speaking), but it comes at a cost -- often, to get 1080p video you have to accept a frame rate of 7.5 fps. I'm not saying that isn't workable, but it is getting kinda low. OTOH, the detail level is good.

ikon

Some good points there pcdoc. For indoor monitoring I agree that 640x480 (480 lines (TVL) effectively) is usually enough. It's outdoors mainly where that becomes an issue, due to the longer distances typically encountered. I primarily rely on video for outdoor monitoring and my alarm system for indoor.

Drashna Jaelre

I'll agree with the IP camera "bug".  I've definitely been bitten.

Though, pcdoc, have you tried BlueIris? And if so, what's your opinion of it?
I ask, because I use it, and am very happy with it.

Jason

Love BlueIris and its companion mobile app. But I've not yet found the right balance for the alert feature. Alert capture seems to have a delayed start and end prematurely.

Drashna, have you encountered this issue?

Drashna Jaelre

I haven't really messed with the trigger/alert stuff, actually. 

However, on the "Record" tab for the cameras, have you enabled the "Pre-trigger frame buffer size"? And if so, what is it set to. The higher it is, the more "lead time" you'll get, but it may adversely affect performance (as it warns).  

As for ending, the "Motion/Trigger" tab has the "end trigger unless re-triggered within X sections".

Though, the trigger duration option isn't very well labelled...

It's the "End trigger unless re-triggered within X seconds". Increase this, and it should last longer.

Also, change the "Trigger if motion occurs for at least X seconds". This should enable it to trigger sooner, or at least be more sensitive to motion.

At least, that's what the help file seems to indicate.

The only issue I've had with BlueIris is that the streaming isn't exactly great quality. But all things considered, for a security system, it's more than adequate.

FiLiNuX

I have been using Motion (FOSS) for a little while now and have been very impressed.  I started out with just a couple old web cams and adding on as equipment became available.   What impressed me the most is how well the motion activated process starts, records, and stops.  The software itself uses minute system resources on a VM running on a Microserver and with the resolution I am using (640x480) network impact is also minimal with 4 cams.  I know it runs very well on a Debian  Ras Pi as well.    I like being able to edit a frame so that only certain areas of a cameras view  detect motion.  

I would think for most home setups 1080 would be overkill due to price & equipment.   I have heard  good things about iSpy and think it is now very high on my things to mess with.  I know one of the projects it utilizes Aforge can do some amazing things.