RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Command line for backup service question

Bfletcher

Hi. Would someone be able to advise me of the command lines needed to both stop and then start the client computer backup service? And do I have the correct assumption that I should stop the service if I want to make a backup copy of the client backup folder? Thanks.

Hi. Would someone be able to advise me of the command lines needed to both stop and then start the client computer backup service? And do I have the correct assumption that I should stop the service if I want to make a backup copy of the client backup folder? Thanks.

Bfletcher, you dont need to stop the service to take a backup of the client computer backup folder. I have never stopped this service and I have seen no documentation that suggests you would need to do this.

Just schedule your backup windows for your client computer backups to be outside of the your server backup schedule to avoid any problems if you are worried.

For example, I run server backups at 3.00pm and 11.30pm every day and I run client computer backups from 5.00 am to 2.00 pm.  Having said that, I often run manual client computer backups at other times and have never had any issues.

This used to be an issue with WHSv1. I still have the commands to stop & restart the service in the scripts I use for WHS2011, but I don't believe they're actually necessary. I would caution you against just taking the commands I use and using them on WSE2012 -- I have not tried them that way and have no idea if they would break anything.

Thanks for the feedback guys; WHS V1 familiarity is exactly what prompted my question with WS2012E. I, too, used scripts to stop the service whenever I backed up the backup database.

If you're using Windows Server Backup to backup the client backups... then you don't need to stop the service.

The reason is that Server Backup uses the Volume Shadowcopy service to run the backups. This is the same service that does "Previous Versions" and even System Restore. It takes a snapshot of the files, and allows you to access them instead of the actual files. That means you can seamlessly backup files that are currently in use. Such as the Client Computer Backup Database.

.... Which also uses the Volume Shadowcopy Service.

Edited by Drashna (WGS)

Thanks. Would you know which---and how---to stop services if I'm using, say, TGRMN,s ViceVersa Pro and VV Engine?

Open an elevated command prompt ie Run as Administrator otherwise it'll say you don't have sufficient rights

net stop <name of service> and 

net start < name of service>

To get the actual name of the service you want; open up the services admin tools, right-click the service you are interested in and select Properties. In the general tab, the service name is listed at the top.

So if I wanted to stop the Cryptographic Isolation Service, I'd open up services, right-click on CNG Key Isolation, select properties and find that the name of the service is KeyIso

I'd then create a script to do 

net stop keyiso

(the names are not case sensitive). Remember it has to be a command prompt with elevated rights.

Simple as that

John

Thank you. Technet lists 3 services to stop; I've included the link but they mention windows server client computer backup service, windows server client computer backup provider service, and windows server computer backup service. I found the wsecomputerbackupsvc but not the others. Do you perhaps know of the other service names? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj863106.aspx