RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WS2012E in Virtualbox 4.3.6

revengineer

revengineer

I cannot start a new topic in the Virtualbox subforum, so I am posting here. I have recently upgraded my Virtualbox to v4.3.6 and found my WS201E (not R2) to be no longer working. I deleted the VM and started over with a fresh install selecting Windows Server 2012 as the OS and using the default settings. The installer starts, get the user input, copies all files, and then reboots. Then the windows logo comes up and eventually I get a blue screen saying "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart." For later reference, the error is given as KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I have googled and asked in the VBox forums without success. Did anyone here have a similar issues? Can anyone reproduce this problem? Even better, does anyone have a fix?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• revengineer

• jcollison

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

revengineer

The host is Windows 7 x64. I just tested "Windows Server 2012" (not essentials, not R2) and it installs just fine. The iso I am trying to install is en_server_install_disc_windows_server_2012_essentials_x64_dvd_1022281 from Technet.

revengineer

I would appreciate that. At this point I am mainly interested in reproducability of this problem. I have gone through pretty much all permutations of the settings without success. My log was examined by a member of the Virtualbox forum and there are no indications that Virtualbox itself has failed. So WS2012E does not like something about the Virtual PC configuration that Virtualbox represents.

The next step is to file a bug report with Virtualbox. For this it would be helpful to know whether others can reproduce this. So if you can give this a shot that would be great. It should not take longer than 15 minutes to verify this.

You may ask why I care. Well, I am running WS2012E as my main homeserver and need a way to test configuration changes without risking to wreck the production server. 

Thanks in advance for the help.

jcollison

Sure.  A bit of a delay in getting the test box set up.  Doing that now.  Will have something back to you later today

Drashna Jaelre

CHeck the features/options that the VM uses, I think there was something to enable to help with that, But I am not sure. It's been waaaay too long since I've used Virtual Box.