RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup behavior question

Bfletcher

Hi. If I have existing backups that include an entire drive and then customize the backup to exclude a folder for, say, one backup session, then revert to performing entire drive backups will the server retain the integrity of those backups indefinitely if I keep them? Thanks.

Interesting question. I would think so. The only thing I wonder about is what happens when the backups get older and the server needs room on the drive for newer ones. It normally deletes the oldest backups as I understand it (with some complicated rules about full vs incremental backups I believe).

It will be interesting to hear from anyone who has actually tried this.

The server will retain the backups according to the client computer backup retention policy. Assume your client computer backup retention policy settings are set for 3 days, 3 weeks, and 3 months. Your home server will keep the last three daily backups, last three weekly backups, and last three monthly backups.

Hi. If I have existing backups that include an entire drive and then customize the backup to exclude a folder for, say, one backup session, then revert to performing entire drive backups will the server retain the integrity of those backups indefinitely if I keep them? Thanks.

Bfletcher,

I am unclear from your question whether you are talking about client computer backups or the server backup. I agree with the responses so far for client computer backups.

However, I think that for server backups you will lose the older backups each time you reconfigure the server backup process, unless of course you rotate backup disks at the same time.  There was another thread on this forum that discussed the situation for Server Backups (although for WHS2011, but I dont think it has changed for R2).

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6515-backup-restore/

Thanks for chiming in guys. You made me realize that I had just assumed Bfletcher was talking about Windows Server Backup, not WHS Client Backups. Bfletcher, I guess you should clear it up so you can get the best advice :)

Thanks for the feedback; I neglected to indicate that my question pertains to the client. I was just not quite sure what may happen to previous backups if I change a given client's configuration to suddenly exclude a folder... Didn't know if during the next backup or during cleanup that folder would be removed from the earlier backups.

Ah, my bad. For WHS Client Backups you just customize the backup for that computer, do a backup, then customize the backup back to what you want. If you then mark that most recent backup as Keep Until I Delete, it should retain it forever. Each backup is kept as a snapshot of how the system was when the backup was done. Previous backups cannot be changed by future ones or that snapshot feature would fail.