RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to backup a Network Drive or NAS on WHS?

Nevalite

Hello everyone,

I have a QNAP NAS on my home network and I would like to use WHS to perform backups of the NAS.

I have setup a hard drive to be used for backups on the WHS, that part works fine. I have also performed backups of the WHS on this drive.

From what I can tell I need to add client computers to WHS and I can then select those computers for the scheduled backups. The problem I am having is that the NAS is not a computer so I can't connect it to the server in that sense.

I tried to simply map the network drive of the NAS on WHS and then select the network drive in the backup wizard but the drive does not show up...

I also tried to add a server folder which is the mapped network drive but it tells me that server folders cannot be network drives...

How can I use the WHS scheduled backup to perform a backup of my NAS or any other network drive?

Thank you for your help.

Map a network dive to the NAS and donit the old fashioned way......either with Robocopy or Powershell. Run it as a scheduled task.

Map a network dive to the NAS and donit the old fashioned way......either with Robocopy or Powershell. Run it as a scheduled task.

I figured that just mapping the drive and then using a third party software to perform scheduled backups was an option.

I don't have any experience with Robocopy or powershell, could you please explain how I would go about doing that?

Thank you.