RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Just Checking

Powerline Adapters - Peoples Experiences

Just Checking

I'm surprised more MoCA discussion isn't involved here. Cable outlets aren't as proliferated as power outlets of course, but most homes built in the past 10-15 years have cable outlets in the majority of rooms you'd find PCs used.

https://www.actiontec.com/251.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0FU0EY7308

Thanks for the info.

The links for this MoCA indicate that these are more expensive than PLA's. 

The specs indicate that these units can do "up to 175Mbps" media streams.  What does that mean in "real life"?  The PLA's I have tried claimed they transferred at 600Mbps but the best I have seen is 135Mbps.   Does this mean that these MoCA's will really transfer at 80-100Mbps?  And what about other data streams?   Are these good enough for transferring data streams that cannot have bit errors?

I have set up a couple networks with wireless repeaters that do reliably transfer high quality data at 200+Mbps over 90 meters distance and through many walls/floors/obstructions.  The cost was no more than for these PLA's or MoCA's (I got the D-link repeaters on sale at Newegg).  It is sufficient for the needs of the people I set up the networks for but not good enough for my personal needs.

It seems weird that all the talk in the media is about how everything is going wireless (wireless TV's, Appliances, devices, phones, security systems, media centers, DVR's, etc.) but nothing comes close to the wired ethernet lines... (Except fibre).  I spent a lot of time and effort chasing that wireless dream only to find I could never get more than 25% of the bandwidth of a gigabit network.   Now, all these other options like PLA's and MoCA's can't beat a wireless network. 

ikon

IMHO, the odds of any wireless Ethernet outperforming wired Ethernet are almost non-existent. No matter how fast wireless Ethernet becomes, it should always be possible to make wired Ethernet go faster.

timekills

MoCA gets the speed it is rated for, unless there is a physical problem with the RG12. Just as Ethernet over RG45. Ethernet over powerlines are rated a the maximum speed the devices can transmit over the gauge wire used for home powerlines, but are (as discussed) affected by the electrical interference/noise and connectivity.

Both have an advantage over wireless in stability. While 802.11X speeds are approaching Gbit (802.11ac notably) the speeds vary wildly not only due to distance, but multitudes of external interference. MoCA and ethernet over powerline will stay quite stable.

I have yet to see a (home) wireless connection that reached and maintained a low latency and stable connection at the speeds of a MoCA connection.

ikon

I agree, particularly with the 'latency' part; too much overhead with wireless.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have moca devices and they are horrible. Won't even stream SD movies without buffering.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

ikon

It might be your devices, it might be your cable configuration, but I'm thinking there's something wrong with your setup.

Drashna Jaelre

DirecTV uses MoCA for it's "whole home" Extenders, and it streams HD just fine.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

It might be your devices, it might be your cable configuration, but I'm thinking there's something wrong with your setup.

Could be but I remember trying all kinds of differnt set ups and nothing helped.

DirecTV uses MoCA for it's "whole home" Extenders, and it streams HD just fine.

I don't know about their current set up but I know they used to use a lot of compression to do that.

Drashna Jaelre

Could be but I remember trying all kinds of differnt set ups and nothing helped.

This is why I hate networking.

Have I told you how my Linksys WVC IP cameras cause the chipsets on TWO different wireless routers to crash the wireless? Even when the cameras are wired?

I don't know about their current set up but I know they used to use a lot of compression to do that.

From the looks of it, when it periodically glitches, they are still using a lot of compression. But overall, it works well.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

This is why I hate networking.

Have I told you how my Linksys WVC IP cameras cause the chipsets on TWO different wireless routers to crash the wireless? Even when the cameras are wired?.

How long did it take to figure that one out?

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk