RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Just Checking

Powerline Adapters - Peoples Experiences

axoid

I have a set of Netgear AV 200s and they were able to handle a single HD MP2 stream, two MP2 streams was too much. You might be able to handle multiple MP4 streams with them. I used them when I was living in a condo that hadn't been wired, but I haven't used them in over a year after moving in to our new house that I had fully wired with cat6.

I have found that Powerline Ethernet is not perfect, but it is better that WiFi N. I'm thinking of using a couple of them again to run a wired network to the garage.

Bill

Just Checking

I just picked up a couple Cisco Catalyst 2970G's (24 port managed switch) and a Netgear GS748T (48 port managed switch).  I bought them on eBay for very good prices.   The Netgear switch does PoE along with Link Aggregation and has HDMI ports for stackability (allows 10Gbps between switches).  Both these switches are Gigabit, full duplex, and all the features you could want.  The Cisco 2970G is EOL so Cisco no longer sends out firmware updates on it.  I knew this going in but the network guys that I talked to all recommended the Cisco switch and had them so I figured I could get support if I ran into problems.

The Netgear switch is still supported.   I bought it because it was a managed switch; it had web based management; there are lots of whitepapers and instructions on this switch; it has SFP's (not sure I will go to them); supports PoE (supports 800+ watts of PoE) for surveillance cameras or other powered devices; supports LACP (up to 5 ports per aggregation); supports Port Aggregation; has those HDMI ports which may be able to interact with Thunderbolt ports (Thunderbolt is still too new to be certain of this) which may help "future proof" this switch; has 48 full duplex gigabit ports; spare parts are readily available and cheap; and was less than $100 delivered. That was about US$2 per gigabit port for the Netgear GS748T.  I have trouble buying a good unmangaged switch for that.

I may never use all the features of these switches but they were inexpensive enough that I can play with them and resell them without taking a big hit if I decide to pursue other avenues. 

ikon

Sounds like you're in for a fun time. Good luck with it. Keep us updated.

Poppapete

Gigabyte powerline adaptors ( or is it adapter) available from Trend this year.

http://www.wegotserved.com/2014/01/05/new-gigabit-powerline-adaptors-arrive-trendnet/

As for the switch.  I have been over to smallnetworkbuilder who recommend TP-Link as good quality Chinese switches at a reasonable price. TL-SG3424 is a 24 port managed switch. The price seems to double for a model that supports poe for ipcamera or voip hardware.  Has anyone had experience with inline power injectors that can be added to a line requiring power?

Sorry, I seem to be getting off the subject of this thread! 

ikon

I have a fair bit of experience with inline PoE injectors. I've used TrendNet, Ubiquiti (smallest, lightest ones I've ever used, but they seem to work well), D-Link, EnGenius, and a few others I don't recall. They all seemed to work. I've even used some of them outdoors where I had to wrap them in a plastic bag to protect them from the weather (these were temporary installations that didn't warrant the installation of NEMA enclosures).

In short, I can recommend PoE injectors in general, and the brands I mentioned in particular.

schoondoggy

Depending on how many POE ports you need, you don't have to buy too many injectors to justify the cost of the POE switch.

If you're running gigabit ports please be sure to buy gigabit rated POE injectors.

ikon

True enough about the relative costs.

I'm not so concerned about getting Gb rated PoE injectors, at least not ATM. Even 1080p IP cameras, such as those from Honeywell, only put out around 3 Mbps of video, which is easily handled by a 100 Mbps injector.

schoondoggy

True enough about the relative costs.

I'm not so concerned about getting Gb rated PoE injectors, at least not ATM. Even 1080p IP cameras, such as those from Honeywell, only put out around 3 Mbps of video, which is easily handled by a 100 Mbps injector.

Fair point, I try to match up POE injector speeds to the ports that they are connected to just in case I use a wireless access point on one some day.

but if you keep video on a separate switch you should never have an issue.

ikon

Agreed. After some not-so-nice experiences with putting IP cameras on a college network, I pretty much stick to separate LANs for video surveillance.

Joe_Miner

Not long after I got my EX-487 I got the D-Link DHP-302 power line carrier to connect my Dell Desktop (win XP) to my EX-487 in the basement.  It enabled me to have a "wired" connection so I could do things with the EX-487 that required a wired connection without having to move machines.  It also provided me faster backups than what I was getting at the time on my network.

The speed between my Dell and the EX-487 I measured at 11Mbps R&W.

Things to keep in mind, i found, when using the power line carriers connections:

• the devices all need to be on the SAME bus in the distribution panel -- if they are on different buses then the signal has to go thru the windings of the distribution transformer outside the house which really kills the signal strength and thus transfer rate
  • power strips -- especially those with surge protection will attenuate the signal strength and thus transfer rate
  • GFI's will attenuate the signal strength and thus transfer rates
  • electrical machines (motors) will inject a LOT of noise and kill transfer rates
  • Energy efficient compact and regular fluorescent lights will inject noise and kill transfer rates

Some time ago I installed wired (CAT6) connections and gave away the 302's.