RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Just Checking

Powerline Adapters - Peoples Experiences

Just Checking

I have been trying out some Powerline Adapters recently to work in some homes where there are no ethernet lines or drops and where it reallly isn't possible to get good wireless coverage without a lot of wireless repeaters.

My experieces with wireless adapters from Zytel and TP-Link have shown the following:

1. Disregard the stated wireless transfer speeds in the ads.   The mfg's state the speeds which they claim is the communication bandwidth between the powerline adapter units, not between devices on the network.

2. Many of the devices have T100 (100Mbps) ethernet ports which limits the maximum transfer rate between units on the adapter network.

3. Even when the powerline adapters have T1000 gigabit ethernet ports, the maximum transfer rate rarely exceeds 140Mbps for the adapters that I have tried.  Multiple devices and transfer speeds on the adapter network slow down the individual transfer rates and the total cumulative transfer rate may often be less that that for a single transfer between two devices.

4. Distance between the powerline adapter units does make a difference in bandwidth.  It is not as bad as a wireless transfer speed drop but still significant.   Transfer rates can drop by 50% when the powerline distance is 20 meters away on the same circuit with new romex wiring.

5. Other devices on the power line circuits have a negative effect on the wireless transfer rate.  More electrical devices cause more signal degradation.

I am asking what other peoples experiences have been and which powerline adapters have people found which can provide high bandwidth (greater than 240Mbps) consistently over reasonable distances (30 meters or more).

Just Checking

This has been my experience also (though I did get a little better performance with "best case" testing).   I was just hoping that someone else had found a powerline adapter which could provide enough bandwidth to have multiple simultaneous streams of significant bandwidth.   None of the powerline adapters suggested will provide that now.

Poppapete

I have 3 X 500mbps Netcomm adapters streaming to Sony Bravia TV's in 3 different rooms.  Worked a treat for a couple of years but with the size of the files going from an average 600000 KB to now 8 and more GB's (and I assume the bandwidth now required) has them stuttering & stopping. I have given up and am going to pay for cat 6 lines to each TV. Here's a question. Do I run 1 cable to the media room and then use a secondary powered switch to connect the 3 devices (Xbox, Sony TV & Cable Box) or is it an advantage to run 3 separate cables from my primary switch.

I agree that you will be lucky to get more than 100mbps unless you are very close and on the same phase.

Edited by Poppapete

Jason

How long until Cat 6 performance will be beneficial in a home environment over Cat 5e?

schoondoggy

if I am taking the time to pull cable, I would pull cat6a, just to future proof.

jcollison

If you listen to BYOB, PC Doc talks about them all the time it seems.  I still don't think he has found one he likes.

oj88

PLAs (along with WiFi repeaters) are last on my list in terms of adding or extending connectivity. I'd sooner pull a new cable.

We've always been taught that It's considered best practice to separate data lines from power lines. But in the concept of the PLA, it's just ironic to me that the most electrically hostile environment is used as the medium to transfer data. It works, of course, but at a great bandwidth cost.

Poppapete

How long until Cat 6 performance will be beneficial in a home environment over Cat 5e?

Probably not in my lifetime but then you never know!!!!

Just Checking

I have 3 X 500mbps Netcomm adapters streaming to Sony Bravia TV's in 3 different rooms.  Worked a treat for a couple of years but with the size of the files going from an average 600000 KB to now 8 and more GB's (and I assume the bandwidth now required) has them stuttering & stopping. I have given up and am going to pay for cat 6 lines to each TV. Here's a question. Do I run 1 cable to the media room and then use a secondary powered switch to connect the 3 devices (Xbox, Sony TV & Cable Box) or is it an advantage to run 3 separate cables from my primary switch.

I agree that you will be lucky to get more than 100mbps unless you are very close and on the same phase.

I would run seperate home run lines to each device.  I have run into this problem in my own home and now am having to go back and run more ethernet lines.   If you have the time and money, it is less expensive to do it up front.

I am just asking about PLA's for another persons home where there are no ethernet lines run at all and everything is finished off already.  In that case, it is very expensive to run ethernet lines.

If you listen to BYOB, PC Doc talks about them all the time it seems.  I still don't think he has found one he likes.

Thanks for the input.  I will check out those posts.   I was just hoping that someone might have tried one that actually had decent performance.   I think that there are inherent problems with PLA's that cannot be overcome without massive investment.