RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Window won't display in 8.1

Poppapete

I love the file explorer with the ribbon commands but I have had an issue with file copy since moving from 8.0 to 8.1 that I have been unable to solve. If there is a problem with the the transfer (not enough room on the drive, file already exists etc.) then an (interrupted action) window opens with options. On my system since 8.1 this window only appears on the task bar and try as I might I cannot get it to enlarge or maximize so that I can make a choice and continue the process.  I do have 7 screens on the system which may be the reason for this issue.

My initial guess would be that the dialogue box is showing up in one of the monitors (whether disconnected or not).

You can try pressing the Windows Key+P and select PC Screen Only to temporarily disable the other displays so the pop-up should appear on the primary display monitor.

Alternatively, you can apply the method as described here (I've tested it on Win 8.1): http://superuser.com/questions/187176/how-to-move-an-applications-dialog-box-from-a-disconnected-monitor-to-the-main

1. Use Alt-Tab to make the app/dialog active.
  2. Press Alt-Space, followed by the 'm' key
  3. Hold the left arrow for a second.
  4. Move your mouse (without pressing any mouse buttons) until you see it.
  5. Press enter when you have it where you want. (Left click works as well.)

Note: Though, dialogue boxes are normally shown as a window and cannot be maximized, applications usually can. If nothing seems to happen after following all 5 steps, it is likely that the app is maximized in one of the monitors. You then first need to Press Alt-Space+R to Restore the app to a window. Then you may repeat step 2 to 5.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips.  I will report back with results.  I have tried the move option using the mouse on the boxes in the task bar but not using the keyboard. I, like you ,figure the window is displayed somewhere I can't access.

7 screens?! Really?

I take it they're not all on at the same time? Otherwise, I don't get it. If they're all on, why wouldn't you be able to see the popup on one of them?

All are on at the same time. I don't get it either! I only need 6 screens (I play the markets for a living) but wanted to try a touch screen with W8 so I bought a 7th.  Trouble is I try to touch the lot now.

After playing around it seems the problem occurs with outlook as well.  So I tried oj88's idea of closing all the displays via windows key + P. Presto the missing windows appear on the only display left running. When I reinstate all the displays I find that the 8 jarva windows (in chrome) associated with my stock-market app have crashed. I bet it is the java stuff that is causing the problem.  I hate java but can't do without it.

Thank you oj88 for the help. :) :)