RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Link Aggregation/Trunking - Managed Switch Choice

Just Checking

From what I saw on their website, it appears CenturyLink is an 'ISP aggregator'. IOW, they represent a bunch of local ISPs. If that's the case, I wonder if you're actually talking to your local ISP instead of CenturyLink 'central' as it were.

Good luck with the ID and Password: I'm not sure how willing they will be to accommodate you, but it's worth a shot. I've never actually tried to do that myself.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Just Checking

• oj88

• Andne

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yikes! That is scary. Have you communicated your fears and displeasure to CenturyLink management? It sounds like a really good reason to set up your own router.

The answer to your 1st question is, "No, you are not paranoid if people are really out to get you.". The very definition of paranoia is that you believe people are out to get you when they aren't.  

I think I was last able to get my username and password via the automated phone system.  Otherwise I think when I was talking to a live person they may have checked it for me once, I don't remember.

Virtual Circuit is a DSL term, comes from the ATM system that DSL uses.  There are two numbers (VCI and VPI) in the configuration page, but I can't remember what they are supposed to be without looking at that page again (unable to when I'm at work).  It is NOT the same thing as a static IP.  Unless those numbers are correct, a modem will not connect properly.  When I had replaced my modem with the Netgear, I had some issues with it, but eventually got them to tell me that I had those numbers incorrect and the tech support person provided the correct numbers.  I have seen them online as well since then, and the numbers do vary depending on who your ISP is.  I think CenturyLink uses different numbers depending on who you had before they acquired them.

Just changing your modem from router to bridge mode should have no effect on the VCI/VPI settings, and those settings are only in the modem, the external router only needs to know to use PPPoE and the user id/password.