RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home router/server - hardware & software choice

m1m

Hi
I'm looking for new machine to replace my old home router/server (Pentium II 332MHz, 256MB RAM :))
In addition to common router/access-point functions I need:
- ssh access (from inside and outside the LAN)
- QOS
- small www server with php
- small mysql db
- possibility of running python/perl scripts
- cron tasks
- NAS (samba)
- caching proxy
- bandwidth usage stats
- possibility of running torrent client, jdownloader etc.
- owncloud (maybe)

I also want this computer to be silent (fanless) and low power.

At the moment, I'm thinking of 3 options:
1. Build PC from scratch on Intel Atom ITX:
- motherboard AD2700-ITX http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/AD2700-ITX/index.asp
- wifi adapter TL-WN951N http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WN951N
- passive PSU e.g. PICO PSU
- 2.5" hdd
- 4GB RAM
2. Get terminal (thin client) e.g. Neoware, Dell or HP, add ram, hdd and wifi adapter.
3. Get wireless router e.g. TL-WDR3600 http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WDR3600 with usb 2.0 flashdrive & OpenWRT

Each option has advantages and disadvantages, which equipment will be sufficient? I'm afraid that WDR3600 could be not enough.
As an os I would like some linux distro with web gui and lots of available packages. I've read that you can run OpenWRT on normal PC. Is that true? Could I run it on dual core Atom or thin client?
OpenWRT, m0n0wall, pfSense, Zeroshell, IPCop, ipfire, ???, what do you recommend?

I agree with Poppapete, particularly in that I think the router/UTM should be on its own. If it goes down, the whole LAN is prevented from getting to the internet. It doesn't seem logical to me to have the router go down because of other stuff running on the same computer. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Here's what I have in mind:

1. pfSense (as perimeter router+FW):

- ssh access (from inside and outside the LAN)
- QOS
- caching proxy
- bandwidth usage stats

2. ClearOS (as a server):

- small www server with php
- small mysql db
- possibility of running python/perl scripts
- cron tasks
- NAS (samba) - Flexshare
- possibility of running torrent client, jdownloader etc. - (or Transmission)
- owncloud (maybe) - (Read someone deployed this with Flexshare)

Thanks for answers. I agree that separating firewall & server makes sense, but in enterprise environment. In this case, I'm building small home network (up to 5 computers) and services mentioned in 1st post will be used mainly by one user (me :)).

I want to have everything I need on one machine. Currently I'm thinking about Neoware/Igel thin client with Via C7 1GHz CPU, 2GB ram and hdd (ssd maybe). It's totally passive cooled and consumes ca. 20W.

Which system suits the best? I know Ipfire and OpenWRT have modules for http server, mysql, samba etc

Edited by m1m

If it's truly just you (i.e. there's no Mrs. m1m to give you grief cause the Internet is DOWN!!! What were you thinking?! :D ) then I can certainly where it might not be much of an issue. However, if there are others depending on your Internet connection then it could be a very different story... something you might want to keep in mind for the future ;)

BTW, there's a reason we're all concerned with the W.A.F.

Get an old box and install Untangle. A lot easier to setup than pfSense.  Once running you will never have to touch it and it will cost you nothing for a router that is far better than anything you can buy for under $1000. (Probably need to buy a good dual port NIC if you don't have one)

Then worry about a server. oj88's server looks very interesting.