RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
awraynor

CrashPlan and External Drive Backup

awraynor

I was using Bitcasa and just as they were really maturing the product and getting the ugly interface right, bam!

The 10-12X price increase came along.

I am back to CrashPlan, but having some of the same problems as before. It is so slow at times.

I am trying to get my initial "most important" data back on their servers and on an external drive.

I have already had to increase the RAM allowed as before. I have changed to 4GB allowed so that shouldn't be

a problem. The initial set is only 200GB and it is taking days to complete which I find ridiculous. 

I have placed a ticket with them, but is this typical for other users?

I also tried Zoolz which was cheap and fast; but it used Glacial storage and I wanted the immediate gratification

and went back to CrashPlan so I suffer under their software yet again.

jcollison

So I have 381GB - Just kicked off the backup.  It says 4.4 days remaining.  This is a fresh upload since I changed my service plan with CP.  I am uploading at 7.9Mbps

The CrashPlanService is taking about 260 MB of RAM while it's running.  Desktop software another 115MB.

It's running on WHS 2011.

BTW, with Cox, I am only suppose to use 300GB of bw a month anyway.  Guess I am blowing through that.

One of the things I did discover while going thru this is that since I have integrated cloud storage on my WHS 2011 box (I have installed SkyDrive, Dropbox, Copy and Box on my server) is that I was backing those folders up to crash plan as well.  A little redundant.  Just removed those from the back up since they are already in the cloud.  Saved me 80GB or so

awraynor

300GB woah. I have been uploaded for months to one service or another and luckily no notice from Charter.

I did find a file change that has modestly decreased the program RAM usage while increasing my upload to

over 4-5 Mbps. It apparrently turns off deduplication which makes it easier on the program.

I also deselected the SkyDrive folder on my desktop and the online backup actually completed in lieu of 

being stuck on certain files.

ikon

I remember those days, when the ISP said there was a cap but, if your neighbours didn't complain, they didn't do anything about it. These days, Rogers actively monitors usage and automatically bills for overage, at something like $1.50/GB -- gets expensive pretty quickly.

pcdoc

I was using Bitcasa and just as they were really maturing the product and getting the ugly interface right, bam!

The 10-12X price increase came along.

I am back to CrashPlan, but having some of the same problems as before. It is so slow at times.

I am trying to get my initial "most important" data back on their servers and on an external drive.

I have already had to increase the RAM allowed as before. I have changed to 4GB allowed so that shouldn't be

a problem. The initial set is only 200GB and it is taking days to complete which I find ridiculous. 

I have placed a ticket with them, but is this typical for other users?

I also tried Zoolz which was cheap and fast; but it used Glacial storage and I wanted the immediate gratification

and went back to CrashPlan so I suffer under their software yet again.

Your ram usage seem more than normal, mine is actually higher that.  Have you consider cloudberry which can write to glacier.  Kind of gives you the best of both worlds.  As for crashplan, I have never really cared as it is my third copy so I limit the bandwidth as well as schedule it for the night time only.  My first seed took a couple of weeks but the updates are usually less than an hour.

awraynor

I understand. CrashPlan isn't bad, probably best option at this point, but it does seem to take a lot of resources.

I do have an umlimited plan for Zoolz, writes to Glacier for $27/year. I was back to CrashPlan because I didn't

want to wait 4 hrs to retrieve a file everytime.

When I deselected backup of my SkyDrive folder performance did improve for some reason.