RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
oj88

Client Computer Backup Service has to be manually started, everytime

jmwills

Event logs never lie........

oj88

@ikon,

At least here, I'm way ahead of you. I moved the client backup folder using the WHS Dashboard. Though, in order to troubleshoot other issues involving storage, I have moved the said folder back and forth from p to d then back to p no more than a couple of times. But all these were done through the Dashboard and the process (as it appears) completed successfully without errors.

For as long as the service is manually started, client backup works, save a few times that problems were encountered in the database. Then again, these were always successfully repaired through the Dashboard.

ikon

Excellent news... well, sort of. If it had been the way the folder was moved at least we'd have an answer ;) OK then, we have to keep digging....

jem101

I'll bet good money that somewhere buried deep in the registry is a reference to that location. It might be worth just seeing if a search in the registry for that path turns anything up. I'd start with 

HKLM/Software/Microsoft

Could be some odd unholy alliance between Drive Bender and the backup subsystem - maybe something didn't get flushed out of the registry properly when you were moving the locations back and forth.

Probably worth a look anyway.

John

ikon

Good idea. It's a place to start anyway. 'Course, nuking the install is always an option ;)

Drashna Jaelre

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\Backup. The key is "BackupName" I think.

As for the error.... that's the actual location of the source coded for the component.