RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
oj88

Client Computer Backup Service has to be manually started, everytime

oj88

I'm at a loss here and this has been going on for months. Up until now, I tolerated this issue by just manually starting the service after a reboot. But babysitting the server is getting old and I want to get to the bottom of this.

f0a5b75c-7e88-4d0d-b533-7b2ed0b6df85_zps

Now, I know you guys are a lot smarter than me and I'm hoping that at least someone can point me in the right direction to start with the troubleshooting.

Ask away if you need more information about my environment. To begin... I have Drive Bender and the Client Backup directory resides in the Pool. Other software running in the background are:

1. Hard Disk Sentinel

2. Air Video Server

3. Plex Media Server

4. SkyDrive

jem101

It might well be a timing issue - I notice that another service which is on automatic has also not started. What can happen is that a service has dependencies and it can't start until they do. If for some reason one of them gets held up for too long, then the timings can get all screwed up and the initial service never actually starts properly even if the options are set in the recovery tab.

What I'd do to start off with is to check through the event logs and see if you can find out exactly what the issues are and secondly go to the properties of the Client Backup Service and change its startup type to Automatic (Delayed Start). That might delay it enough for everything else to become stable before it tries to start itself.

I can't say I'm too happy with the Initialization Service not running either so you might want to look into that as well.

Oh and a Happy New Year

John

oj88

Thanks for that insight and a Happy New Year as well. :)

I've tried changing the Startup type to Automatic (Delayed Start), Manual, Disabled, and back to Automatic, just to clear up any "flags" that's maybe making it behave like it was set to Manual. No dice. But however I look at it, it DOES appear that it behaves as such (that it is set to Manual, regardless of what the Startup type says).

I've also tried setting up Recovery and set a reasonably long (5 minutes) delay between attempts to restart. Didn't seem to do anything. Again, it's as if the service didn't even attempt to start. Otherwise I'd get a pop-up error that "A service failed to start,..", but I don't get such error.

About the Initialization Service, I've observed that this service is running while the server is still booting up, and will stop once everything has settled down. Is this not the correct behavior?

Again, thanks!

Edited by oj88

jem101

Oh well it was just a suggestion. You might well be right about the initialisation service, I don't have a 2011 box to check but some services do just that, run for a time and then shutdown when they've done what they need to do.

If you start it manually, does it fire up ok with no issues? Worse case scenario you could always try creating a scheduled task to execute say ten minutes after system startup which manually starts the service

net start <whatever the name of the service is> in an (probably elevated to be sure) command prompt. Again I don't have a 2011 box so I can't check what the service is actually called - I'm sure someone else will chime in soon though.

John 

oj88

I might try that task scheduler thing. It's still a workaround but if it means human intervention will no longer be needed during boot-up, it's still a step forward.

But in the grand scheme of things, I'm really interested in figuring out the root cause.

Thanks John!

jem101

...snip

But in the grand scheme of things, I'm really interested in figuring out the root cause.

I couldn't agree more - anything of interest in the event logs?

oj88

I couldn't agree more - anything of interest in the event logs?

I'm ashamed to say that I wouldn't know where to start looking. :D As I've said, there isn't really an error stating that a service has failed. What is apparent though, is that the service in question did not likely get a start command from the system.

It didn't attempt to start = No error to say

Anyway, I did a variant of your suggestion and included it in a batch file I already have running called "Delay_SkyDrive.bat". The original purpose of this batch file is to delay running the SkyDrive app for 5 mins to make sure that Drive Bender has finished bringing up the Pool. The SkyDrive directory is inside the pool so if it starts before Drive Bender is finished, it pops up with an error and loses the stored login credentials. In other words, I have to manually login my SkyDrive account once the Pool is up. And you know how I dislike human intervention. :D

Anyway, I just inserted the command to start the Client Computer Backup service. Worked flawlessly!

@echo off

timeout /t 300

net start "WSS_ComputerBackupSvc"

start "" "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SkyDrive\Skydrive.exe"

ikon

An interesting discussion guys, and a bit puzzling. I agree with the Scheduled Task idea, although I also agree it would be ideal to figure out what`s going on. oj88, you might want to search through the logs to see if there`s any mention of the service trying to start. In this case, not being in the logs at all would be evidence of something not right. But, if it is in the logs, it might give a clue as to why it doesn`t start or why it quits quickly. If your logs still have entries from when the time when it was starting normally, you should be able to see what a normal startup entry looks like.

oj88

I'm such a noob! As it turned out, there were a 'few' errors on the event log concerning the Client Computer Backup Service dating back to October 2012 (not 2013). I think I may have some idea on what's happening, but as to the "why", is probably another story. I see a lot of the following errors, with a few variations of the number and folder/file names:

The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service failed at (549) of (d:\wssg_src\colorado_qfe\backup\pc\util\diskfile.cpp).

The "What" may be because I moved the Client Computer Backup folder from D: to P: (the Drive Bender pool mount point) as it was getting too big for my D: partition. "Why" the service is looking at a non-existent "d:\wssg_src\colorado_qfe\backup\pc\..." folder is a mystery to me.

Uhhh.. How do I attach the saved log (*.evtx) file?

ikon

OK, this kind of thing has come up before. Here's the big question: how exactly did you move the Client Computer Backups folder? Did you (as I suspect) just move the folder over to P: using Windows Explorer, or did you move it using the DashBoard?