RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
movedor

Manage RAID from within Windows

movedor

I have my Microserver Gen8 all setup and sitting in the closed together with all other wiring, modem, routers, etc.

I setup my microserver with SSD in the ODD bay for the OS, and 2x 3TB in RAID 1.

Now I realized I have a spare HD that I want to use to archive TV recordings from my media center.

I remotely shutdown the microserver, installed the HD and powered it up again, but the new HD doesn't show in Windows. I know I need to add that HD in the RAID but I am trying to avoid hooking up monitor and keyboard to the thing again just to access the BIOS.

Is there a way to manage the RAID from within Windows itself via some utility? Or the only way is only thru the BIOS?

schoondoggy

do you have iLo running?

movedor

do you have iLo running?

I don't know... what is that? It looks like I need to learn something new here. Is there something short I can read about it?

schoondoggy

you can access the gen 8 from another system on the network by connecting to iLo 4 on the gen 8

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-5167ENW.pdf

users guide

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03334051-9.pdf

many of us have bought advanced iLo license keys to get all the features. the advanced keys are $400, but you can find them on ebay for $40.

you could also load the windows software for the b120i and use rdp to get to the server.

there is a little tag tied to the back of the server that has the original password for iLo on it

movedor

Thanks for the references to the iLo4 docs, I will be doing some reading on this later.

What is the "windows software for the b120i"? It is something that I can install in WHS 2011? I don't see it in the drivers & firmware page for microserver gen8. Does it go by another name or sits elsewhere?

schoondoggy
movedor

This was exactly what I was looking for. It worked great. Thanks!

adsboel

Is USB 3.0 drives for backup, slow storage LIkE Media or do you intend to run stuff from them?

I use an USB 2.0 wd mirrorbook as my last line secure data vault. I presume they are USB/esata .. Key point : it's very gentle on the dual drives which are mirrored and spin down when not used to reduce wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk