RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Avast! AV for WHS

c0op3r

Well I downloaded the demo/trial 9Supposted to be 60 Days) of Avast! WHS edition and its only been on the machine for less then one day, and it tells me that the the license has EXPIRED!

How do I remove this, clearly I wont be buying a product that cant function for more then one day.

I tried the uninstall from the add-ins menu, and it fails giving me a "Uninstallation Failed" error

Zero Unhunter.

This program has a known bug if you the install from the console in that you can remove it. The only way out is to download the "EXE" version, re-install, than you can un-install. It is not a bad program, but it is the lousiest install I have ever seen and they do not want to fix it. Go the exe route and you will be OK.

It did not work, but I looked over their, knowledge base and they have an UnInstall utility. I downloaded that and will give it a try, but you have to reboot the server into safe mode to use it. You are 100% correct their install/uninstall setup is pure crap. This mean I have to put a Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor on my server to do this, thank goodness that mine is a "Frank'in-Build" and has video, how would you handle this is you have one of the Monitor-less units?

I also disabled the auto-protect mode under the settings section and was able to install that way.
I have had the issue of the WHS console not updating the status of my clients. At present I am
not using it, but may reinstall?

ZeroHunter,
IF you put it back in after you removed it, use the exe version of the file and it "should" work. At least it has for me on three separate servers.

PCDoc

I got it off using the Un-Install Util that is on their page, that was mentioned in their Knowledge Base. But I did have to re-boot the WHS into Safe Mode to do it.

Now the Un-Install Util seems to have done a great job of removing the software, but if you ask me you should not have to go read a knowledge base, download a special util, boot into Safe-Mode, all to fix a program that was supposed to be in demo mode for 60 days after less then 5 hours!

I am not sure that I am going to try it again, I am leaning toward Eset Nod32, on the WHS machine.

Here's a tutorial on installing Eset Nod32,
http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/04/11/eset-nod32-anti-virus-on-whs/

I've had the same issues with Avast, however I still use it. I like that the addin tells me that my PC's are up to date. I have the family pack, so I have ver 5 on the PC's. I just don't run the full scan. Sometimes I use the browser in a RDC and have outlook installed on the server, Avast covers me.