RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DHCP not giving IP address to non-domain members

Do you have Direct Access set up on the server? In the old days (well a year or so ago when it was called Routing and Remote Access) setting this up would automatically take ten or so leases from the DHCP pool. You tended not to notice it really as the number of available leases was generally far higher than what you required.

I don't use DA (I prefer to setup VPN connections with the router as the end-point device) but I'm sure that others will chime in to say if this is still the case or not.

John

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• jem101

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

I discovered that server was grabbing all the IP address, log stated "out of IP addresses", now that is a first. I only have one nic installed so don't understand why this would be happening. 

Thoughts please.

Sorry for the delay at work, just got home.

One thing to understand is that NICs are not restricted to 1 IP. In theory, they could have an unlimited number of IPs. Of course, the address range being used, and other factors, severely limit the real number of addresses, but a single NIC can still have quite a few.

Deleted the scope, recreated it with all address available to be leased using /26, then I found filter by MAC had been enabled. Disabled this feature and can now get address leases for non-domain but now I cannot get address leases for domain members, in addition device that do get an address can't browse the internet or the network. If I assign static addresses everything works fine but then what's point in having a DHCP server if all objects must by static? Heck my simple router can hand out DHCP address and do DNS, but not the server. What am I missing here? There a scope/filter I need to setup?

Edited by theb2b

Post an ipconfig /all for whatever cannot reach thd internet and why are you using a 26 bit subnet instead of a 24?

If you can't access the internet, it's almost certainly because your clients are not getting the correct Default Gateway, or the correct DNS. What IPs are you assigning for Gateway & DNS when you use static info, and how is it different from the DHCP info they get?

Drashna Jaelre

yes, RRAS/DA uses up 10-20 leases by default. That's for the VPN functionality. I use 100 leases, to be honest, because I have a lot of devices, and about 20 VMs.

As for the DHCP server, make sure that the primary DNS is the Server's IP address, and the secondary is the router's IP address (or your ISP's DNS). This should ensure that everything works properly, and that if the server is off, clients can still access the internet. And the gateway set to the router's IP.

Also, are you authorizing this DHCP server in activate directory? If not, that could be why.

Also, are you authorizing this DHCP server in activate directory? If not, that could be why.

That's an interesting wrinkle. DHCP has to be authorized to hand out IPs to AD clients? Do I have that right?

That's an interesting wrinkle. DHCP has to be authorized to hand out IPs to AD clients? Do I have that right?

DHCP has to be authorized in AD to even start up and hand out any IP address info, not just to domain clients. If he has just set up DHCP just using the wizards then it should have authorized itself and be running, but maybe something went wrong during all the changes.

theb2b - the easiest way forward would probably be to remove the DHCP role and then reinstall, just step through the wizard and it should sort itself out. Otherwise any chance of some screenshots showing the various configuration of the DHCP service and also what errors (if any) are being generated in the event logs - off the top of my head, I think they will be in the System log.

I still think that the initial problem was DA taking too many leases, not leaving enough for all the clients and now something has gone wrong with the setup when it was changed.

John 

Thanks jem101; that makes more sense. It just seemed weird that DHCP would have to be authorized to hand out IPs to only Domain members.