RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DHCP not giving IP address to non-domain members

theb2b

I have recently setup 2012 r2 Essential server and have enabled both DNS and DHCP, non-domain members will not get in IP address. I assign and IP address maunally then have access to the network and internet. What do I need to do to enable non-domain devices to receive IP addresses? I used the wizard to install and configure the basics, have not gone much past that. Any further information you may need to help assist in trouble shooting please let me know.

I have setup DHCP before in Linux servers, my first go around with Windows.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• ikon

• jem101

First, let me say I am not running 2012r2. That said, I cannot think of any reason why DHCP on 2012r2 would not give out an IP address to any device that asks for one. It's in the nature of DHCP to answer all requests for IPs.

Indeed as Ikon says, unless you have been setting up and configuring network access policies (and if you have, I'm sure you would be aware of it), then DHCP will simply answer any and all requests and if possible return valid IP address information.

The obvious answer is that the DHCP scope has just run out of leases - but the first thing to check would be the event logs on the server.

Oh yes far too many as the default, and he did say that he'd set it up using the defaults so leases shouldn't be the reason but it's where I always start to look. The DHCP entries in the event log should give some clues as to what's happening though.

I discovered that server was grabbing all the IP address, log stated "out of IP addresses", now that is a first. I only have one nic installed so don't understand why this would be happening. 

Thoughts please.

Sorry for the delay at work, just got home.

Your right mod the scope to a /26, still this is 62 address, limited the number to be assigned to 12, reserving the rest for static and future projects. 

You are throwing a level of complexity in this that is not necessary. Build out the scope and reserve address ranges for VM types, say 200-225 for servers, 100-125 for workstations, etc.

I would still like to know if the trouble clients are wired or wireless. Can you post an ipconfig /all from one of the clients that will not grab an address?