RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Maximum number of 3.5" hdds in G7?

rtrt

I currently have 5 in mine plus a 2.5" as boot drive.

Thinking about it I'd guess there are 4 restrictions - physical space, psu output, heat generation and sata ports

Re space - recently Ive seen the mod where you can squeeze one in behind the HP LED and also a while back where you have a bracket bolting 2 together and placed where the Optical goes. So that would suggest 7. But i have a feeling that way back when I got the micro server, I saw a picture where someone had squeezed 4 drives in the optical bay by mounting them side to side rather than front to back - anyone seen that mod and even better have some pics/a link?

Sata ports - if you populate both PCIE slots and use the esata then 10 seems straightforward

Power - if you use the lowest power drives - then what do you think the absolute max would be?

Heat - not sure what to think here

IMHO, stacking drives on top of each other like that is a bad idea. After G-shock, heat & vibration are the 2 biggest enemies of HDDs. This arrangement increases both. Just my 2 cents, but I would never do it.

I’ve seen the bracket where you can bolt two 3.5” drives and install them in the ODD bay area and still be able to squeeze a 2.5” SSD (or maybe two) in the space behind the HP LED – there’s also an Icy Dock that would enable you to put 4 2.5” drives or 6 2.5” drives in the ODD area.

I’ve seen the Mod’s where several people have put 4 3.5” drives in the ODD space like the one you found by neilt0 at Lime.  There’s pictures somewhere in the forums on that but I can’t remember where at the moment.  We had a thread on the subject How Many HDDs is Possible With the HP MicroServer – 9? Plus a lot of other useful thread links in MicroServer HardWare Links such as:

Storage Options for MicroServer  and Theoretical Question on MicroServer IcyDock Mod……

And you’re going to want to check out ShuG’s Modifications for a 15 Drive N40L as well as Stanza’s 14 Drive RackMount MicroServer and a direct link to his OCAU posting here!!  My hat is off to ShuG and Stanza!!  They have some amazing builds!!

Thanks for the responses both and for all of the links Joe - i'll digest those properly later! Just some quick thoughts from me;

I'm probably more inclined to go for squeezing as many 3.5" drives in, as I have quite a few spares lying around that i'd like to make use of, rather than a splurge on 6 or more new 2.5" - fun though that would be!

Having said that 3.5" will be more taxing on the PSU, so I guess I might be constrained there. Any thoughts on the PSU limitations - boot up is presumably the max power draw?

Re Ikons points around heat and vibration - I won't say I've thought about those in detail, but i did have some initial thoughts.

If there's enough room with the 4 drives in the optical bay option, then i was planning to space the bottom 2 from the case and the top 2 from the bottom 2 using some thin rubber spacers. Tbh that was more about noise than anything else, but it'd surely help with vibration too.

Re temps - I definitely agree so i'd look to monitor those closely. I have iStat installed already, so would plan to use that and see how it goes with any new drives. I guess i'd be ok if they were consistently under 45 degrees and happy under 40.

I have six HDD’s and two SSD’s in my N54L running off of an LSI 9211-8i as an HBA in IT mode (eight 6Gb/s SATA ports). I have the two “extra” HDD’s mounted in the ODD bay using a Noiseblocker NB X-Swing HDD Adapter while the SSD’s are vertically stacked against the rear case wall sitting on top of the case fan.

At first I was not happy with the temps on the two HDD’s in the ODD bay so I pulled the ODD cover off and the temps were a little lower but not where I wanted them to be. I then added two Noctua 40x10mm NF-A4x10 fans behind the ODD cover blowing to the rear of the case over these two HDD’s and put the ODD cover back on. My HDD temps now are 30⁰- 34⁰ C at idle and 34⁰- 38⁰ C under load. All HDD’s are 4TB Seagate NAS drives.

I run NAS4Free embedded booting from a USB stick in the on-board USB port so I don’t lose a SATA port to a boot HDD/SSD. I use the eSATA port for an external 2-bay box for back-ups. I do want one or two more SATA ports for additional SSD’s (as mirrors) and have no room for another HBA as I have an HP RAC in the other slot. I’m going to try the on-board drive controller through the SFF-8087 for one SSD mirror that doesn’t need 6Gb/s ports.

I don’t think I am over-taxing the PSU.

Edited by Taffeys

Taffeys, congrats on those temps ---> they're excellent. I would be very happy to have HDD temps that low in such a nice, small form factor. Is the 40mm fan very noisy? I ask because most 40mm are noisy but Noctua has a rep for being pretty quiet.

ikon, no the two Noctua 40mm fans are not noisy at all; I can't hear any increase over the stock case fan. I think it's because they are buried up in the case and do not directly pull or push air into or out of the case; they simply keep air flowing over the two HDD's up in the ODD bay. They also come with a LNA (low-noise adapter) which I did not use that lowers the fan speed if you think they are too loud. Noctua fans are usually rather expensive but they move a lot of air quietly. They also have a six year warranty.

Correct. But noise is all relative. When I was thinking about how to keep those two HDD's cooler I remembered I had an old 5.25 to 3.5 in drive bay cooler/adapter so I pulled it apart and put just the fan carrier plate with two 40mm fans that came with it up there and while they moved a decent amount of air they sounded like little electric model airplane motors. That's when I got the Noctuas and am very pleased with them. I have several PCs and an HTPC that I had changed-over to Noctua's and have been Noctua convert ever since.