RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Domain, DNS and so forth setup for 'normal' homelab.

adsboel

Hi Guys,

Anyone have a good instruction to setup AD, DNS and dependencies for 2008 R2? I cant get my head around how DNS is setup in a normal 192.168.1.x ADSL uplink scenario.

B.

SOLVED..

abit feedback:

found a nice Tool called dcdiag that helps test dns settings and dnslint (i think) which identified the problem to the extend i could Google the solution.

The dchp not working - have no idea why it dint serve ip, so i started on other virual with dhcp, then dns and then DC. This worked for serving DHCP and i had some router-dhcp setup issues i solved here, then i added DC again and it failed again. DHCP needs to have a domain account to access dns .. first flaw - but could still not join join the domain.

using dcdiag and dnslint i found some forum post telling me left-right and center and nothing worked until i choose "scavange stale records" on the dns. After this, DCDiag didnt fail the tests and computer could join ..

very strange behavior for adding a default service to a non complex setup .. however, i am a happy camper now .. everything Works..

DCDiag is a very useful tool specifically for diagnosing domain controller connectivity issues (hence the name). As active directory is so heavily reliant on DNS working properly and all the zone and service and host records being in place, DCDiag checks all of these first which is why it was useful in this instance.

I'm going to bet that you at some point had some misconfigured DNS records somewhere which were confusing the server(s). Scavaging stale records goes through the DNS zones and deletes old, expired records (why Microsofts DNS servers aren't configured to do this automatically by default, I'll never know).

(why Microsofts DNS servers aren't configured to do this automatically by default, I'll never know).

It should be possible to script something to do this, no? If so, it might be a nice thing to publish in the forums so everyone can benefit.

It should be possible to script something to do this, no? If so, it might be a nice thing to publish in the forums so everyone can benefit.

Well since you asked nicely ;)

From an elevated powershell console (ie run as administrator)

Set-DnsServerScavenging -ScavengingState $True -RefreshInterval 7:00:00:00 -NoRefreshInterval 7:00:00:00 -ScavengingInterval 7:00:00:00 -ApplyOnAllZones -ComputerName Insert_Server_Name_Here

The various intervals are the default ones of 7 days, no hours etc. which I've found to be as good as anything else. If you run the command directly on the server concerned then you can omit the -ComputerName parameter.

However it is just as easy (probably easier) to do it from the DNS Management GUI. Fire it up, expand the DNS Server Name, then expand the zone records you are interested in. Right-Click on the name of the zone and select Properties. There is a button which lets you set the Ageing/Scavenging properties on one of the tabs in the dialog box - and off the top of my head, I've forgotten which one it is!

Enjoy

John 

Very nice jem101. That's some command line: reminds me why I was so happy when GUIs took over :) Really good to know there is a GUI way to do it as well.

• Like 1

Took me a weeks work to hit the button :) tries so many things and no one posted a cohesive guide to remind you if the tools and small important things :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I don't know if Server 2008R2 has it, but 2012R2 sure does. If you open up the DNS management console, right click on the server's name and select properties, head to the "Advanced" tab, there is a checkbox to "Enable automatic scavenging of stale records". Set to 12 hours.