RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Server Build - Please Critique

FleurDeLis425

After over a month of researching and browsing the forums and internet, I have put together a build I am considering for a home server. I would appricate some feedback on it in terms of what you guys think.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1225V3

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SAT

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) of Kingston Value ECC RAM

Power Supply: Seasonic SS-660XP2 

Case: Antec 1200

Boot Drive: 2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptors (in RAID 1)

Storage Drives: 4x 3TB WD Red Drives

HBA: Adaptec 71605H (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816103253)

Drive Cages: 3x Norco SS-500 Drive Cages

Biggest thing I was not sure about was the motherboard, I like the X10SAT due to have more then just VGA out and also for having greater options in terms of PCIe expansion. But perhaps that seems dumb. The other motherboard I was considering was the X10-SLH (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182822). Any thoughts?

Additionally, I went with a single 16-port HBA because if I go with two 8x PCI cards, then that would limit my expansion options in the future on the X10SAT due to the bus does 16/NA/NA, 8/8/NA, or 8/4/4. Additionally, that Adaptec is 10% off at checkout.

I went with a with the VelociRaptors due to their speed and 5-year warranty. Additionally, I worry about being able to recover my storage spaces (yes I know some people don't like it, but I do) in the event of a OS drive failure. Any thoughts on that? Can I assume the Supermicro mother board will be able to handle the RAID1?

Lastly, I plan on running a VM in Server 2012 for the torrents and such. Does the 16GB seem like too much for that or does it seem about right?

Thanks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jcollison

• ikon

• Jason

• FleurDeLis425

Top Posters In This Topic

An additional question, what is the overall thought on using non NAS drives? Reason I ask is there is a good deal on 3TB Seagate Barracuda drives.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

16GB should be fine then, unless you're planning to run really heavy duty stuff in the VMs.

RE: non-NAS drives: I tend to stick to NAS/Enterprise drives, to be on the safe side. It's a server after all.

My WS2012R2e box is set up very similar, but different in some ways.  

I have 3x150GB VR drives in RAID 0 set for the OS.  I wanted blazing speed and not redundancy for my OS drive.  Just my choice.

I use 3x1TB Green drives set in a RAID 5 for the data.  I used Green drives because I had them.  I like the choice of Red.

I used an IcyDock cage for the drives.  It's worked well.

Keep us posted on your set up here

What made you go for the raptors in terms of speed rather than SSD? Any idea about the feasibility of recovering storage spaces in the event of OS drive failure.

I will post the final build when complete for sure! Thanks for all the feedback thus far.