RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Gen8 won't switch on when PCI-e card installed

Muziiie

I've installed a pci-express wireless card (asus pce-n15) to my 1610t microserver. Once installed the server won't turn on. Or it has rendered the embedded video card useless.

I have changed the setting to ensure the embedded video cars remains primary so it doesn't think that a secondary video card installed.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm not sure why it won't boot, but I would like to suggest that you consider dumping that PCI-E NIC and instead use a router that has the ability to act as a Client NIC. That way you can just connect the server to the router using 1 of the Ethernet ports.

BTW, what is the purpose? Are you connecting your server to your LAN using only wireless? If so, you will certainly be hampering performance. Are you looking to have clients connect to the server via the wireless NIC? If so, why not just attach a router to your LAN and let them access the server via the network?

Before any further diagnosis is made: Have you tried other PCIe cards to see what the result is, such as a video card, wired NIC, or something else?

Ikon. I am aware I will ne hampering performance. - It will be a tempory setup. (I'm not looking to have any clients connected to the HP. At this stage it will only be an expensive NAS)

Lonewoof. I do not have any other PCI-e cards to try. Most the computers at home are laptops and we have a single desktop computer.

Tried the pcie card in the desktop and it was able to boot.

If it's a NAS for video streaming, I would see some potential issues, especially if the NAS clients are connected wirelessly too. Each wifi connection in the chain lowers bandwidth and increases latency.

Without testing another type of PCIe card in the server, preferably something widely used (like an intel wired NIC, graphics card, maybe a USB card) there isn't going to be a way to tell if the problem is your wireless card and its compatibility with the server, ir whether there is an issu with the PCIe slot itself.