RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to migrate from WSE12 to WSE12R2?

Jason

I'm currently running WSE12 (R1) on my home network with Anywhere Access enabled with a Microsoft SSL cert (server.remotewebaccess.com).  The OS is installed on a SSD, all data is on a RAID 6 array.  It's currently my DNS and DHCP server.

I do not have a second server, but would like to move to WSE12R2 on this physical box with the option of rolling back to R1 if necessary.  Am interested in the benefits of the Hyper-V role as well as the HTML 5 remote pages for mobile devices.

Luckily I also have a second identical (spare) SSD that is currently unused.  Would it be best to install R2 to the new SSD and setup a new, additional Microsoft SSL cert so that my R1 server's SSL cert is unaffected?  So that I can rollback to the original install by simply booting off the original SSD?

Or just wait until my R1 server dies and requires a full-blown reinstall :-(

There is no migration from WSE 2012 to WSE 2012 R2, AFAIK.  Your good points are that you have the data on a RAID array, which you didn't mention if this was on a controller card or Windows controlled. 

DNS and DHCP will be a snap to get working again.

Sorry I used "migration" loosely. My RAID 6 array is hosted on an Adaptec hardware controller card.

Wish I could transfer my existing Microsoft GoDaddy SSL cert (server.remotewebaccess.com) to the new R2 instance without impacting remote clients. That may be asking a bit much. I think those SSLs are renewed each time they're generated?

With my experience there are a few nice extra's in R2, but I find the OS was rushed out and does have bugs that I see weekly. Since you have a 2nd SSD, do a clean install on that and run it a few weeks to see if you enjoy R2. If not you can put back the 1st SSD.

For now, I'm installing VMWare Workstation under WSE12R1 to see whether it doesn't negatively impact my DirectAccess setup and also enable me to run Plex Server within a VM.  If that works, I'll use this virtualized setup for now until I have a future need to reinstall my server OS.