RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Odd External Drive Behavior

awraynor

My tech hasn't been very reliable lately. I lost a GB switch a couple of weeks ago along with a 2TB green drive from my 2011 machine which contained my server folders. Not to be outdone by my water cooler also going bad on my main desktop.

Over the last few days my desktop has been behaving erratically. Explorer was crashing, windows/programs taking forever to open or not open at all. CrashPlan was backing up to the external drive, but finally it wouldn't recognize the drive. Chkdsk didn't report any errors, but as soon as I removed the drive all the other problems went away. Guess the drive was going bad and finally died. Given this was my second WD drive in a month may have to rethink that brand loyalty?

Wow, the cyber gods pay us all a visit time to time, sounds like it's your turn. I have found two ways to deal with the cyber gods,

1) Stop doing anything tech related for at least 3-5 days and then try again slowly. 

2) Throw huge sums of cash at everything till they go away. :wacko:

More to your point, I have seen more problems with the WD greens then the Seagate greens, but I don't want to start a drive war...

I have switched over to all reds for my main server. Red drives and ssd's is all I buy now. The reds are new so time will tell, but I use them with WHS v1 and Win2012E with no problems. They are not hotrods but good enough for me and they run cool.

Water cooling, I came close to once, then my buddy said "don't do it, it's nothing but trouble" so I stick with a high air flow case and the top rated heatsinks/fans and then spend huge sums of money to get the fastest cpu/memory/ssd I can.

P.S. This also seems to help keep the cyber gods away also. :D

I also use all netgear Blue network stuff, pricey but again, it seems to help keep the cyber gods away.

Goodluck, I will hope it passes soon for you.

I echo Gardian's sentiment about WD Greens. I think if you stick with any WD colour other than Green you should be fine. Their REx drives have proven extremely reliable for me too, but they are pricey.

I replaced the switch with a Netgear business class model. I run Win 8.1 on an SSD with data in storage spaces with a mix of red and greens. For a desktop are are RED 's fast enough for most people? I don't do photoshop and precious little video work so they're good enough for me. And the water cooler worked for 3 years and was certainly more quiet than the air cooled unit I replaced it with. Thinking of replacing the external with a WD mycloud for local backup and CrashPlan for offsite.

I think Reds are fast enough for most people. It's even better if they have an SSD for the OS drive, but I think it works even without.

I think my OS drive is a Vertex2 and it still runs well for me with the data in a storage pool.

Putting the house up for sale soon and when that drama is done maybe I can segway

into a new machine? Running an i7-875K and getting the itch to upgrade.