RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server 2012 R2 essentials?

Ncage1974

Hey guys finally got around installing server 2012 r2 essentials role on my server tonight. I thought everything was going to be straight forward but it wasn't. I installed the role through the RSAT tools on my workstation and installation went smoothly. I'm on an existing domain and apparently it was smart enough to know that it didn't need to create a domain (thankfully).

This is where the issues started in trying to connect my workstation to the server. I go to https://myserver/connect and download the software but when i try to install the software. I at first got some kind of error stating that the computer has already been added (which essentially didn't allow me to install the connector software). So i remoted into my server (using the dashboard) and noticed it was added automatically. Not sure why since any other computers weren't but i thought easy enough i'll just delete it and re-add it. Well now i'm getting another error (attached). What the heck essentials is smart enough to know it doesn't have to create a new domain but every single computer connected to the domain will have to be deleted and re-added to the domain? If this is true this seems like a huge oversight. I don't want all my profile customizations to be messed up when i unjoin and rejoin the domain. 

I think i seen some type of hack out there were you can do some registry tweaks and get the connector software to not try to join you to the domain but to be honest i hate doing such things. Sometimes it can cause problems latter. I remember all the issues i had when i moved my profile directory off of c$. I know this wouldn't be that big of a change but still. If i have to do that then i will but hopefully there is a more mainstream supported way.

any help would be appreciated....

error.PNG

It almost sounds like the Client computer you were trying to join already had some version of the Connector installed. Is that possible? If so, you have to uninstall it from the client before you can join to a new server.

The error is telling you one of two things.  One, and most likely, the Connector Software from the other server (possibly 2011) is still installed and must be removed, or 2, the client is joined to another domain.

You can remove the Connector Software form Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) as it is now called).  Thanks for being a purist and sticking with the domain and you also mesntioned something about moving the profiles off the C drive?  I wouldn't do that.

Guys sorry but its impossible its installed and i check to make sure :). Well thats I haven't used server essentials for a very very long time. I mean since the original version (how many years back was that?).  After they got ride of drive extender i left for quite a while and when server 2012 came on the scene there were features that essentials missed (i don't remember exactly but maybe it was the ISCSI target functionality) so i decided to stick with standard server. When R2 just added it as a role is when i decided to jump back in. 

Edited by Ncage1974

I think what they are saying is it could be any of the connectors. WHS v1  /  WHS 2011 /W2012E   any connector would cause a problem when trying to install a connector. WHS v1 also had the Medissmart update as well.

Maybe you are saying you have never had a connector installed on that pc you are trying to join. Not sure??

I think what they are saying is it could be any of the connectors. WHS v1  /  WHS 2011 /W2012E   any connector would cause a problem when trying to install a connector. WHS v1 also had the Medissmart update as well.

Maybe you are saying you have never had a connector installed on that pc you are trying to join. Not sure??

Yep i'm saying its impossible i had the connector from another one installed on my pc. I'm trying to say i haven't used home server in many many years (i don't have a box with WHS v1 or 2011).

OK, not to belabor the point, but what we're asking is whether it's possible that you have some version, any version, of Windows Home Server Connector on your Client computers. It doesn't matter how long you haven't had a WHS Server. If any of your clients were ever connected to a WHS, of any kind, you might still have a Connector installed. If you do, it's a problem.

If your Clients are new, or have had their OS reinstalled since you stopped using WHS, then I agree it's unlikely they would have a Connector installed. I'm just trying to be really clear on what we're asking: we're asking about Clients, not Servers.