RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Intel Desktop Build

Hi guys,

After years of using AMD for my desktop builds I've decided I want to replace my old AMD desktop with an Intel based build.

I don't really do a lot of intensive stuff partly because I can't on my old AMD machine. The most intensive task I do now is rip Blurays to mkv and it takes a long time to do so.

What I'd like to be able to do is run a variety of VMs as well as some gaming, though gaming is not a high priority.

I also do some Java programming with the Netbeans IDE though I haven't really had a problem on my current machine but compiling is a little slow.

I was looking at Intel's new Haswell stuff, primarily an i5 or i7, not sure which version would best suit me. In researching online, it seems some recommend a Xeon in-lieu of an i7 for the same performance at a lower cost. I know that an i7 is probably overkill for me and my current use case but I'd probably take advantage of the capability if I had it.

As to motherboards, it seems a Z87 based one would be desirable, yes?

Any thoughts or advice as to a processor and/or motherboard?

Edited by texasPI

Got a budget?  

Did you listen to http://homeservershow.com/byob-episode-137.html ? Very helpful if you are starting out in the world of VMs.  Listen for Mike Martis' comments about memory.

PC Doc should weigh in on his favorite board and chip combo at the moment.  He has tried most of them.  Core i5 should be plenty for what you are looking for at the moment.  

Budget will determine the rest.

I'm actually on show 136! I plan to listen to 137 sometime this week, great timing. Thanks, Jim.

As to budget...that is flexible. I'm willing to make an investment for the long term.

Edited by texasPI

OK....$2,000 is my limit.

Edit: To clarify further, I have a case, power supply etc. This budget is for CPU, motherboard, RAM and video card if necessary.

Edited by texasPI

Not sure where the situation stands ATM, but I know certain 'i' chips had special capabilities built in for transcoding. 'Course, you have to be using a compatible program to take advantage of the capability. I know the i3 had it to start; not sure if it's moved up to the i5 or i7 yet, or even the Xeon CPUs.

Not sure where the situation stands ATM, but I know certain 'i' chips had special capabilities built in for transcoding. 'Course, you have to be using a compatible program to take advantage of the capability. I know the i3 had it to start; not sure if it's moved up to the i5 or i7 yet, or even the Xeon CPUs.

I came across that somewhere, too. I think it's called Quick Sync. I'm probably not using a compatible program, though Handbrake was supposed to work with it at some point.