RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

help with turning Win server into NAS

ultra99

I'm admit that I'm new to all this and a lot written online is kind of confusing. Now that I have Windows Server 2012 installed on the HP, I want it to be a NAS. Is there a simple, direct way to do this?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jcollison

• jmwills

• ikon

• ultra99

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is your definition of a NAS?  You simply want to set up file a network file share?  What are you using Windows Server 2012 for?

The easier route would be to use WHS 2011.  Files Sharing, Remote Access, and Client backups  built in without a lot of prior knowledge needed.

The easier route would be to use WHS 2011.  Files Sharing, Remote Access, and Client backups  built in without a lot of prior knowledge needed.

Thanks, but I have Server 2012 already installed. :P I can learn a few things quickly if needed.

I understandthat.  For ~$40 the path is a better way with WHS unless you are prepared to learn IIS, DFS, NTFS permissions  and you still not have a backup solution for the clients.

Here you go....Windows Server 2012 Unleashed.

I am pretty sure that jmwills was not volunteering to teach you all the things he mentioned.  His point (which is a very good one) is that WHS2011 does all the things you are asking about without much of a learning curve.  To get you up to speed in 2012 you are going to need to spend a bunch of time learning.  Your first post already mentioned that a lot of what you have read on line is confusing.  That is because Windows Server 2012 is not for beginners.

For less than the cost of the book I just linked you can buy WHS2011.  It will do what you want and is very intuitive to use.

Of course there is the sunk cost of Windows Server 2012 that you must have already invested so you probably don't want to just throw that aside, right?

If you are determined to use 2012, first of all start learning NTFS file permissions and file share permissions.  Then we can move on to DFS.

Did you pay for this copy of 2012 or is this an evaluation copy?