RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
k.jacko

Installing 2012 R2 onto microserver Gen8 woes

k.jacko

Hi all,

noob onto this forum, but been lurking a while i guess,

I'm hoping to get some advice on an issue that's really grinding my gears.

So, here goes.......

HP Microserver Gen8 with

Xeon E3-1230-V2 cpu

16gb of HP certified ram.

1 x 500GB SSHD in the ODD port - raid0 array A on B120i (primary boot disk)

4 x 2TB WD Reds - raid10 array B on B120i (secondary boot disk) - currently formatted as GPT

I'm trying to install 2012 R2 onto the SSHD in the ODD port. In fact i've managed this, but when in server manager i try to initialise the 3.74TB array, it just BDOS's with KERNAL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

Upon reboot, looking in the events show:
error 51 "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation."
Do i assume that the 500gb SSHD is the DR0 in question?
ALL disks are brand new and raid and HP diagnostics show no error at all with ANY disk

I then replaced the 500gb SSHD for a 120gb SSD, but as soon as i turn the server one the front page reported it didn't meet the min size hard drive reqs, so i had to swap back to the 500gb. Doesn't even get to the installing an OS stage, so that messes me up again.

I then deleted both arrays on the B120i and recreated them but get the same errors after going through all the routine of installing 2012 R2 again.

I really wanted to put the host OS onto a separate drive and just use the raid10 for VM and data storage.

Is it too much to ask?
Could it be that the system doesn't like me using a hybrid disk in the slot that the ODD should be used in?

I'm trying to get hyper-v installed so i can install a WHS2011 VM.
Initially i installed Hyper-V 2012 R2 (non-gui), but that just kept hanging, i'm guessing for the same disk erroring reasons as i'm having now. Only now its clearer with a gui.

Any advice would be appreciated as my knowledge with bios settings in this instance is limited.

Many thanks, and merry xmas to you all. :)

Drashna Jaelre

the drive it refers to is the system disk (or whichever is disk 0, in either disk management, or diskpart's list disk). But that is usually the system disk.

As for the BSOD, if I had to guess, I'd say that the RAID driver is causing memory corruption and causing the BSOD. 

If you can load a newer driver into the image, that may fix the issue you're seeing. Or maybe using a different drive controller.  But I'm don't think it's the hybrid drive that is at fault here (It could be, but I'm not sure).

schoondoggy
neuranet

noob question but.....

How do I put an SSD in the ODD slot as the connectors are all different?

I can see that I could run a normal SATA up from the motherboard, but how can I get Power up there?  At the moment I have the Slim DVD RAM

Cheers

Sorry for the dumb question.  I tried to find a caddy with the correct connections but couldn't find one