RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What do you run on your WHS and why ?

Philgr

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new around here, so I thought I would lend my 2 cents on this topic that I have some opinions about.

First thing: I agree with the prior post about "less" being the way to go. Protect that precious resource. So I don't do non-system related downloads, and even then sometimes I will download on another machine, and put onto a server share to run later on the server.

Aside from hosting data shares, client backups are the main use for my servers. They have saved my bacon so many times - from crashes, virus damage, my configuration mistakes, etc.

The software that I do run on my servers: Beyond Compare is my favorite for folder sync / copies, GetDataBack for the "100 years" scenario of data recovery from a hard drive (I once accidentally initialized 2 3TB drives, and got 99% of it back after several days of my 8GB server CPU being pinned at 100%), RAID management vendor software, DVD Profiler in client / server mode, and a couple of my own tools (WHS2WHS and DataRisk). I would never run a BitTorrent client - too risky to download files directly to the server I think. I like to run a/v on most everything before it hits a server share.

Well, that's my view. Thanks for your attention.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new around here, so I thought I would lend my 2 cents on this topic that I have some opinions about.

First thing: I agree with the prior post about "less" being the way to go. Protect that precious resource. So I don't do non-system related downloads, and even then sometimes I will download on another machine, and put onto a server share to run later on the server.

Aside from hosting data shares, client backups are the main use for my servers. They have saved my bacon so many times - from crashes, virus damage, my configuration mistakes, etc.

The software that I do run on my servers: Beyond Compare is my favorite for folder sync / copies, GetDataBack for the "100 years" scenario of data recovery from a hard drive (I once accidentally initialized 2 3TB drives, and got 99% of it back after several days of my 8GB server CPU being pinned at 100%), RAID management vendor software, DVD Profiler in client / server mode, and a couple of my own tools (WHS2WHS and DataRisk). I would never run a BitTorrent client - too risky to download files directly to the server I think. I like to run a/v on most everything before it hits a server share.

Well, that's my view. Thanks for your attention.

I also use Beyond Compare. It's currently copying my carefully curated via MyMovies DVD collection to the new 4TB drive on my desktop. Too much time involved to do all of that all over again. I like DrivePool on my 2011 Machine and it's even more slick

on the Win8 box. Painful lesson with Storage Spaces.

• Like 1

DrivePool works for me.

You can duplicate some or all of your data.

Data can be independently read by any MS OS.

DrivePool works for me.

You can duplicate some or all of your data.

Data can be independently read by any MS OS.

Read by any OS that can read NTFS, actually. But yes, :)

I'll definitely join the "StableBit DrivePool" chorus here. I'm also biased. :)

Stablebit DrivePool & Scanner works for me also.

Why?  I assume that it's not a question of if but when I have a major system(s) failure and the ability to pull the drives and read them on another machine in NTFS format is a BIG safety factor IMHO (yes, I do back up all my critical data but a layered defense is the best defense) along with data/folder duplication.  Scanner provides even more resilience by alerting me to drives are approaching failure BEFORE they fail so I could take action about it.  That's how I was able to address a cluster of 6 ST3000DM001's that failed on me over a 4 month time period without any loss of data!  Alex (the developer of Stablebit DrivePool & Scanner) is a God, IMHO, after that episode.

Edited by Joe_Miner
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

WHS2012ER2??? I wasn't aware of such a beast. Hehehe

Yes, I've noticed a couple of people making that kind of mistake. Not all that important I don't think; I got what they meant ;)

Sorry, I've been slow on releasing it ... :P

Seriously, anyone interested in writing a wrapper for the ConnectorSetup.exe file that adds the skipdomainjoin registry entry? :)