RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What do you run on your WHS and why ?

Philgr

So i finally have some time to kill over the xmas period to start to play around with this N54L that i got 6 months ago,

i have the N54L running WHS2012ER2 with a couple of shares and and some backups to a Synology NAS, DCHP and DNS

I am sure i can use it for some other stuff and I'm looking for some inspiration on how and what else i can use it for 

So come on guys what do you run on your WHS and most importantly Why ?

Edited by Philgr

You mentioned backups, but not specifically client PC backups, so I'll mention it. MS has, IMHO, the best home-user client PC backup system available. I'm not saying it can't stand improvement -- I can think of several things that would improve it significantly -- but it is pretty great as it is.

Media streaming is another use.

There are some who live by the theory that less is more.  Meaning if you are depending on the WHS box to be a stable source of your data then you may not want to pile on lots of additional tasks or software.

Thanks for the replies guys

The N54l is actually the only windows PC, in the home, the rest of my kit is all apple OSX and iOS

I will look into how to get the server set-up as a time machine target so I can have client backup and then the server backs-up to the symbology NAS, all my really important stuff is also backed up to a cloud service

Phil G

You haven't truly experienced the N54L until you have done a hardware mod.  Have you watched all of John Stutsman's videos and read his posts? There's some ideas for you.  Who need software?

Last I knew there wasn't a 64 bit version of Netatalk required to host a Time Machine on WHS 2011. I successfully created a Mac sparse bundle locally and moved to a WHS share, was able to mount it and use it as a TM destination. However the biggest drawback is that you cannot mount the bundle this way on Mac boot for disaster recovery which is one of the true benefits of TM.

The only option I found that worked was to host a FreeNAS VM under VMWare on WHS and enable the necessary Apple protocol(s) built into FreeNAS. This method can be accessed on Mac boot. Only issue I encountered was somewhat poor network throughput even on a gigabit LAN. May have been a limitation of my virtual NIC driver and you may experience better performance.