RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N36L Windows 7 Hardware RAID + SSD with modded BIOS

my-planet

Hi guys.

I've managed to install a the Bay's modded BIOS just fine on my N36L and have installed an SSD connected to the on board Sata port.

I then proceeded to change the BIOS settings to set up all ports to be RAID (disable IDE on 4/5).

I only have the original 250GB HDD in one of the hot-swap bays.

My problem is, that when trying to install Windows 7, it only sees the 250GB disk and not the SSD. I've tried loading the AMD drivers of a USB key to no avail.

Is my only choice then to run the SSD (and eSata) port(s) in IDE mode?

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Hi my-planet and welcome to the forums.  When you get a chance introduce yourself

I’ve only used the BIOS-Mod from BIOS-MODS but I believe it’s similar to THE BAY.  After the Mod the only way to use the System Board RAID, as far as I could tell, was to set optimal defaults in the BIOS which will enable IDE emulation for Ports 4 & 5.  You should still be able to run a SSD off of Ports 4 & 5 but they will be capped at approx SATA I speeds (i.e 150Gbps Transfer rates Read/Write – SATA II rates would be 300Gbps) and I don’t think trim would be possible for the SSD (note though I’ve only run spinning drives in the IDE emulation on ports 4 & 5 and their speeds were capped at SATA I transfer rates).  The windows default drivers were good enough for me to install WHS2011, S2008R2, & S2012.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Thanks for the reply Mr. Minor, and apologies for the late reply (been playing). Some things just don't make sense to me.

1) If I run the SSD in IDE mode, does that mean the speed is capped at SATA 1 speed? I was not expecting that to be the case.

2) When I go into the on board RAID config (with ports 4/5 set to RAID - i.e. IDE mode off) the RAID controller 'sees' the SSD as a single disk. I also have 2 disks in a RAID mirror which is there too.

So I am very very confused as to why Windows 7 and 8 cannot see the SSD. Ubuntu 13.10 see's it just fine, and windows 7/8 see the mirror ok, but just not the single SSD. VERY infuriating!

If anyone has any further ideas...please help!  :unsure:

Happy new year all.

You've talked about setting the BIOS for IDE and RAID modes. What about AHCI? If you can't see AHCI as one of the options you probably have to flash the BIOS with the modded one from BIOS-MODS that Joe_Miner linked to above. That should also get SATA ports 4 and/or 5 up to SATA II speed. Without an add-in card, there is no way to get to SATA III speeds -- the onboard ports just won't do it.

This thread talks about getting AHCI ports after flashing the BIOS: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3476-hp-proliant-microserver-n40l-5th-sata/?hl=%2Bbios-mods+%2Bahci+%2Bn36l#entry34788

I have flashed 'a' bios which is pretty much identical to the one you refer to.

AHCI works as expected but I want to use the on board fake raid. I dont see getting raid card as a viable option as the server cost me £80 and a raid card will cost me over £120. Might as well sell the server and put a raid card in another pc

Obviously running a sata 3 speed ssd on a sata 2 speed port id not ideal. My question is regarding port 4 being capped at sata 1 if set to ide.

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE: It seems that my Crucial M500 SSD (with latest firmware installed) is not recognised by Windows when connected to a RAID port (any of the 6).

I tried my older Crucial M4, and that worked just fine. I put the newer M500 into the old computer (where the M4 came from) and that wasn't recognised when in raid mode either.

Both computers (my PC and HP server) have a very similar AMD on board RAID controller (SB7x00). Very weird.

It all seems to work fine when in AHCI mode, so I don't think I'll be able to RMA my drive.

Complain to Crucial. Tell them your situation, that this drive is not compatible with your RAID controller, that it should be compatible with all RAID controllers, what's wrong with it that it isn't compatible? Even worse, another of Crucial's own products IS compatible with your RAID controller, so you know it's not the controller.