RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hot CPU

joem

I have a Dell Vostro 410 that is running a WHS 2011.  It has a Quad Q6600 Intel.  Been running fine for a year or so.  All of a sudden the CPU fan will start running at high speed.  The only way to get it to slow down is to do a cold stop and restart the computer.  It runs fine for several hours and then speeds up again.  Really loud.  I found out the cpu temp was running at 84C. Way too hot!  I uninstalled the heatsink and fan assembly and reapplied the thermal compound.  No joy.  The fan runs at a correct 1500 RPM.  I don't know where to go from here accept to think I need a new heat sink and fan assembly.  What do you think? 

Edited by joem

Did you clean the heatsink while you had is disassembled? Hot, soapy water or a run through the dishwasher can really help get rid of the coating of gunk that builds up on the fins.

Also, pay close attention to how you apply the thermal paste -- less is more. It's really bad to get too much in there; it actually can reduce the cooling efficiency. Joe_Miner has some posts in the forums that link to articles that describe the best way to do it.

The Cooler  Master I just installed on my main system is big, but it's running about 46 to low

50's on all cores with air cooling.

This heat sink and fan assembly are clean as a whistle.  I swapped out the old power supply for a new and the cpu is still at 84c.  Ouch!  I have another heat sink and fan assembly exactly like what is currently in the box and will swap that out here in a few hours.  Grasping at straws now.  I have been in the business 27 years now and have not  seen this issue.  That heat sink and fan seem just fine but maybe the heat sink is warped.  I doubt it though because I took it off again and there is a nice evenly spread film over the chip and you can see how the heat sink evenly seated to it. Obviously the motherboard sensors work.  Otherwise the fan wouldn't spin up like a hellicopter.  But I am begining to wonder if the chip is bad and just won't run cool.  I have never heard of that issue though.  But in all my years I have only had 2 computers come through me with bad chips and those caused a lot of erratic symptoms.  And one of those chips I zapped myself.  If you have any more feedback give it to me and I will report back on the swap of the heatsink and fan assembly results. 

I will not stop until I can figure this out!

I'd start with investigating if there's an app or service that's taking up too much cpu time.

On the hardware side, it might be a failing power supply or the board's voltage regulator capacitors, at least that's what I've read so far to be a list of possibilities.

Edited by oj88
  • Like 1

A sudden change like that would make me wonder if something new in the background is soaking up all your CPU horse power like oj88 said.

From what you said I don't think your HeatSink is the issue.  Are all the other fans in your box working?

It appears it was the power supply even though it tested good by my tester. IF those testers show you that a PS is bad you can bank on it. But if they show OK that may not be so. 

icon_post_report.gif

It appears it was the power supply even though it tested good by my tester. IF those testers show you that a PS is bad you can bank on it. But if they show OK that may not be so. 

icon_post_report.gif

Nailed it in one. They're really only good to verify that a PSU has gone bad. There are testers that can really test if a PSU is good, but they cost many hundreds or thousands of $.

In medicine we would refer to the sensitivity or specificity of the test(er). Apparently this device scores low on either count.