RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The dreaded "missing" Hard Drive...

BigSpenderNOT

Hi guys,

Not sure if anyone has some experience with this, but it's worth a shot...
OK, I have 8 internal hard drives in my Frankenbuild (a guy in an earlier post was calling them Franklin builds... hilarious!) and no external ones (yet). Two drives were 500GB, the others are 1 TB or above. The OS is on one of the 500GB. I recently purchased another 2TB drive to replace the 500GB without the OS. Removed the 500GB drive from drive pool. Shut down system. Removed proper 500GB drive and replaced in exact same spot with new 2TB drive using same cables. Oh, almost forgot, 4 drives are plugged directly into motherboard, 4 drives are plugged into Rosewill RC-290-EX internal SATA controller card. The swap was between drives plugged into the card. Booted up the server and it sees the new drive, but now things a 1.5TB drive (also plugged into card) is missing. Shut down (after adding new drive to the pool anyway) and checked all connections. Seem fine. Booted back up and the drive is still tagged as "missing". Questions:

1. Is it okay to shut down and start switching which hard drives are plugged into the card vs. the board without WHS getting all funky to see if that fixes the issue? (I've been meaning to fix up my cabling anyway and don't particularly want to try and remember which drives are plugged in where)
2. Has anyone seen this happen with a properly working drive? I guess my 1.5TB drive could be fried, but it seems weird that it would coincide with installing a new drive.
3. Any other thoughts?

PS - Of course, I have installed the Backup database add-in but not used it and I JUST sent in the wife's laptop due to a hard drive failure and have been bragging about how I will be able to restore everything once we get it back... so "removing" the missing hard drive from the pool will make me look like more of an idiot than I usually do if it kills her laptop backups. Great, hey?

Well, incase anyone cares, I looked around and it seems like regiggering all the hard drives is not a big deal, so i took apart the machine and reattached everything a little more cleanly (going to map everything out with the Disk Management Add-in when I get back up to speed). Rebooted and now it was missing a different drive (again attached to the controller card). Shut down and found out which hard drive and connection were the missing ones. So now I have decided to:

1. Take the hard drive that was missing and attach it via an external SATA USB enclosure.
2. Boot up the machine and if all drives are seen, I'll "remove" that drive from the pool and shut down again after everything moves.
3. Attach the drive back to the controller card using a new SATA cable (in case that is the problem).
4. If it does not show up for me to be able to add, I guess I will know that I need a new controller card.

My controller card does have jumpers that turn off 1 or 2 of the 4 internal SATA ports inorder to use 1 or 2 of the external eSATA ports AND the port that seems to be malfunctioning IS one of the ones you can turn off, but the jumpers ARE set correctly. Does anyone have an opinion on whether resetting the jumpers, booting up, shutting down, and then setting tham back again would be worth trying? It would take a little patience because I would have to remove another drive from the card, but may be worth a shot. ::shrugs::

Just for kicks reinstall the 500 gig drive. I am wondering if the 2tera is tossing the card a curve ball. Let me know what happend

Hi CablDeViL, thanks for the idea. I actually inadvertently tested that theory when I regiggered the drives the first time. The card (after re-doing my cables) had three 1.5TB HDs and one 1TB HD plugged into it and one of the 1.5TB drives went missing (doesn't show up in the boot sequence either when turning the machine on and the BIOS only shows three drives attached to the card). The controller is only a 1.5 GBp/s card, but that shouldn't make a difference, right? A 3.0 GBp/s HD should automagically lower its speed when attached, correct?

Yes, an SATA2 drive will automatically lower its speed to match the interface. That said, most drives have jumpers that let you manually force the lower speed. It might be worth looking into that as well.

Also read somewhere that in some scenarios a 3.o GBp/s dive will not auto configure down to the 1.5 GBp/s interface so you need to set jumper on the drive to force the lower speed.

However I think this is not the issue with OP as he states that the new drive is acknowledged at bios level and by WHS ...so looks like that he has had a fault with another drive from his original config ......sort of in the category of .....putting hands inside box...causes weird things to happen !! ;-)
...would be interested to know if "faulty" drive can be located in BIOS if plugged in to one of the motherboard SATA ports???

I've had two different "missing" hard drives, so far through this... the original time where I swapped out the 500 GB and put in the 2TB drive in it's place only to find a "missing" 1.5 TB drive (which was plugged into the SATA card, but I didn't check where)... then again, after regiggering the SATA connections in my box, the 1st "missing" drive reappeared only to have a different 1.5TB drive come up as "missing" (also plugged into card). That's when I investigated further and figured out which port on the card it was plugged into and noticed that the BIOS didn't show it as connected. That's why I was thinking that the card was having an issue. Maybe I should manually set all the SATA jumpers connected to the card to 1.5 GBp/s just to be sure. I'm hoping I'll have time to investigate this further tonight.

OK, screw it... I cannot figure out a combination of four hard drives that I have in my server that will work on that controller card! I just ordered another controller card:

New Card

I'll keep three on the old controller card and two on this new one when I get it. I had one more open slot for a HD in my case anyway, so the extra SATA port will come in handy... 9 drives inside my WHS (only after a 2TB HD deal comes up of course!).

What a pain, but at least I didn't lose the wife's laptop backup through all this and I can stave off turning my server into an octopus for a few more months. I'm in the process of backing up my entire DVD libary on the WHS and am adding storage all the time. Up to 10.5 TB at the moment. I need to get that last hard drive in the case and then keep my hands out of there for a while! :-)

Sonuva...! I'm back... still no love from my WHS! Removed a 1TB drive from my system which i had moved to an external USB drive for removal (now 7 drives internal)... 4 attached to mobo, 3 to original controller card (which may or may not be flaky)... added new card (mentioned in above post) after detaching 1TB external drive and tried to boot up (with no drives attached to the new card yet) and now it will not get past the mobo splash screen and won't let me into BIOS! Detached new card and booted again and same thing! What is going on here!? I guess when I get home, I'm going to take out the possible flaky 4 port controller card and boot up with only 4 mobo drives attached and start troubleshooting again... is there something obvious that I am missing here? PSU problem maybe? I've got an OCZ 550 Watt PSU pusing this system (onboard video, 2GB DDR2 RAM, one DVD/RW drive, Athlon X2 CPU, CPU fan and 4 internal fans, 7-8 HDs of varying size and speed... i.e. not all "green" models, and up to 2 SATA controller cards). Every wattage calculator I try says that should be okay, but possibly pushing the limit according to some. ::shrugs:: I'm beginning to pull my lose my hair... well actually losing what's LEFT of my hair... anybody have some encouraging words? :-)

That sounds like a little bit a nightmare. Do you have another desktop around? I'd say throw both controller cards into that, use a spare hard drive, and try each and every port on both cards to make sure that they work.

Regarding power, you should be ok, but if you can, check to see if either card supports staggered spinup because that will definitely help.