RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Bare Metal Backup & Restore of only OS drive... possible?

ikon

I have BMB/R working just fine on one WHS2011 box, but the same settings don't seem to work on another. On the box that works, Bare Metal Restore is listed in the details of each backup , but Data Pool drive is not included. On the box that doesn't work, WHS2011 insists that I have to include the Data Pool drive. As soon as I select BMR in the list of things to back up, it auto-selects the Data Pool drive.

I don't want the Data Pool drive included. For one thing, it's way to big to fit on the Server Backup Disk. For another, it's way over 2TB.

One other thing I noted. On the box that works, the server shows up in the DashBoard in the Server pane. On the box that doesn't work, the server itself isn't listed in the DashBoard at all.

I really would like to avoid having to reinstall (for several reasons, including that it would take a week to apply all the updates that have been released... OK, maybe not a week, but it would take friggin' long).

Anyone got any ideas how I can get the 2nd box to do BMR backups of the OS drive but not the Data Pool drive?

OK, it's gets even more complicated (or weirder, depending on your point of view). If I use the DashBoard to set up the Server Backup, I am able to create a configuration that, at least as far as the DashBoard is concerned, does not include the Data Pool drive. However, a check of the configuration using Windows Server Backup shows that the Data Pool drive actually is included.

BTW, if it wasn't clear from the thread Subject, the whole issue is that the box that works is able to do BMRs without issue. On the other box, the BMR program can never find an image to restore. Consequently, it's impossible to do a BMR. I'm assuming it can't find a suitable image because BMR isn't selected in the configuration.

I've seen this happen when I added WSUS or WDS because the files are on a drive other than the OS drive. So it needs the folders it stay intact. Have you done anything like that ?

• 2 weeks later...

So cleanish install, with no additional roles added?

(because John is right, any role is part of the system image/BMR stuff, and it wants to back it up).

However, if you're using DrivePool or Drive Bender or Pool HD, it won't back up the location anyways. The Server Backup relies on VSS support, which they don't support, and that part will outright fail. But it really sounds like that isn't the case.

Also, are you doing this from the dashboard or from the Server Backup management console? (wbadmin.msc)

I made the mistake of doing it from the management console once --> won't do that again.

I didn't have DP on the system at all. Anyway, I've started a fresh install process, which is going to take a while, because I've run into some 'complications'. I'll be doing a roleback to an earlier WS Backup tonight because, suddenly, it's impossible to configure Client Computer Backups and I can't create a new user account. Trying to create a new account using the DashBoard just fails with an error that is the epitome of vagueness, and doing it from Control Panel/User Accounts says I can't have special characters in the User Name. Of course, there isn't a single special character anywhere in sight, but WHS2011 doesn't believe me :P

does it have spaces in it at all?

As for the backup, I only do it from the management console. It works better, IMO. A bit more complicated, but .... you can also restore individual folders and files this way too.

And you *have* checked the event viewer, right? And the WHS logs? (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs)

Nope: 7 alpha characters, all lower case...

The issue I had with using the management console is that it always insisted on backing up the drive with ServerFolders on it, which I don't want. This time, I may do an initial backup from the DashBoard (so I can more easily recover, and with ServerFolders basically empty) and then see if I can adjust things afterward in the management console without losing BMR capability.

Nah, I didn't bother with the EW and logs. I'm more interested in getting a clean, running install than tracking down the issues, at least this time.