RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Missing Near-Site Backup

Technogod

I've not been rotating my WSE12 server backup drives offsite but this thread has convinced me to start. Starting with 2 external USB HDDs alternating between home and my office. Am currently doing the default 2X server backups per day. Do you all include your client backups in your server backups?

Appreciate the insights.

Edited by Jason

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Jason

• Technogod

• schoondoggy

Thanks. I've since added my client backup folder to my server backup. Am now rotating 2 x 3 TB USB 3.0 external HDDs for my server backup.

Rotating drives back and forth can be a hassle. Make sure your data is encrypted or at least password protected. There is always a possibility it could fall into the wrong hands. Do you have another location that has a computer you could load CrashPlan on and use it rather than rotating backup drives?

Rotating drives back and forth can be a hassle. Make sure your data is encrypted or at least password protected. There is always a possibility it could fall into the wrong hands. Do you have another location that has a computer you could load CrashPlan on and use it rather than rotating backup drives?

I don't mind rotating the drives since I'm already going back and forth to the office daily. However I am not encrypting the server backup. How do you add encryption to the standard windows server backup process? I don't have another site where I can run Crashplan without bandwidth restrictions or has much storage though I do currently have a CP cloud subscription as well as a lifetime unlimited Drivepop to which I'm also backing up daily. I know there a way to do a local backup to an external hard drive w CP and then do the incremental remotely via the internet, but not really an option for me.

Edited by Jason

Yeah. Bandwidth restrictions, both the size of the pipe and data caps, make online backup unusable for many people, me included.

Not to mention, how to recover from them.

Drashna, Recovery shouldn't be a problem. Have them send you a drive with all your data.

Jason, FYI, Your Server Backup will have to be decrypted before you can use it to recover your Server.

Edited by Technogod