RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Missing Near-Site Backup

Technogod

I won't elaborate on how it went missing because I'm too embarrassed. Let's just say it's no longer in my van where I kept it. This has caused me to reevaluate my 3-2-1 disaster recovery plan. It caused me to investigate CrashPlan. CrashPlan is designed to backup your files and not your complete system. I also like to have images for quick recovery so I don't have to rebuild my system.

1)WHS 2011 backs up all my computers for BMR. WHS Server Backup backs up my server for BMR. Since my Server runs as a VM on Windows 8 Pro Acronis 2014 backs up my system drive.

2)CrashPlan Cloud Backup backs up all my documents, videos and music to the Cloud. I will also backup Acronis images of my computers to the Cloud since CrashPlan has unlimited data storage. I know, I love my music.

3)Now for Near-Site storage. I have a WHS 2011 at my parents house. CrashPlan has a function to backup a friends computer. You can actually create a backup archive of your files and move it to a friends computer so you can start backing up only changed files right away. I will also have Acronis images of my computers on the hard drive with my CrashPlan backup archives.

I know this sounds like a CrashPlan commercial. I've been really impressed with what I've seen so far. Please let me know your thoughts on how I could possibly improve this plan.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Jason

• Technogod

• schoondoggy

How much data are you looking at for the nearline?

I am using IOsafe products for this type of application.

Fire safes can be a good choice, but you need to be careful and get one that is disk drive rated. Generally, max non-operating temp for a drive is 150-170.

Not sure about total amount of data at the moment. I purchased a 4TB drive just to be safe. My only concern about having it in the home is theft.

So whats the difference between someone stealing it at your place as opposed to the in-laws?

If someone breaks into my house, stealing data is going to be the least of their concerns.  One thing to consider is putting the NAS, server, or data storage unit in a out of the way place that no one is going to take the time to search for.

They can steal my On-Site and Near-Site if both are at my house. If they steal it from my relatives house they will only steal the Near-Site. This is like a Chess Game you have to anticipate several moves ahead :D

Edited by Technogod

Or get yourself a nice, high end gun safe. One that is water/fire/disaster proof. Store the HDDs in there. And that way.... you don't have to worry about somebody breaking into your va-- house and walking off with it. (I mean one of the 4-5ft tall ones, that way 600+lbs). :)

I've always wanted one but never was able to find the funds or the place to put it. I'm also trying to alleviate having to disconnect a drive and store it somewhere. 

Or get yourself a nice, high end gun safe. One that is water/fire/disaster proof. Store the HDDs in there. And that way.... you don't have to worry about somebody breaking into your va-- house and walking off with it. (I mean one of the 4-5ft tall ones, that way 600+lbs). :)

You need to be careful with gun safes, most hold the temp between 200-300F. If you have a gun safe, I recommend putting your drive in a small data fire safe/box and putting that in the gun safe. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-2040F-Water-Media/dp/B000GB0K8U