RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P222 temperature in Gen8?

tangcla

In that case, my apologies. It would seem HP didn't do enough homework on this, given that it's so hard to get the internal temp within the P222's specified normal range. Criticize away..... :)

I know the fan noise issue is a touchy one, but can you really expect the fan to run at its slowest speed when you have the server full? RAID controllers run hot. HP gave some control of the to match the level of integration. 

You may want to experiment with a small fan moving air over the RAID controller, to see if that knocks down the temp on the P222, while keeping the main fan slow.

• Like 1

I know the fan noise issue is a touchy one, but can you really expect the fan to run at its slowest speed when you have the server full? RAID controllers run hot. HP gave some control of the to match the level of integration. 

You may want to experiment with a small fan moving air over the RAID controller, to see if that knocks down the temp on the P222, while keeping the main fan slow.

Fan noise aside, I DO expect to be able to run at MAXIMUM cooling settings, and have the factory recommended option of add-in raid card run within it's proper temperature ranges.  Right now, I've set the BIOS to maximum cooling, and with moderate read/write to the array, it's sitting at 59 C.  This is still above those operating ranges.

I will eventually get this thing running cool, but not without a few modifications and addons, which I don't mind doing.  However, for the average Joe, this isn't an option (or even a consideration).  Heck, looking back at the start of this thread, we all thought 85 degrees was the normal average operating temperature!  This is a problem due to a lack of foresight by the design team, and gripe-worthy.

Edited by Firebaall

Fan noise aside, I DO expect to be able to run at MAXIMUM cooling settings, and have the factory recommended option of add-in raid card run within it's proper temperature ranges.  Right now, I've set the BIOS to maximum cooling, and with moderate read/write to the array, it's sitting at 59 C.  This is still above those operating ranges.

I will eventually get this thing running cool, but not without a few modifications and addons, which I don't mind doing.  However, for the average Joe, this isn't an option (or even a consideration).  Heck, looking back at the start of this thread, we all thought 85 degrees was the normal average operating temperature!  This is a problem due to a lack of foresight by the design team, and gripe-worthy.

I am in full agreement. You have a MS Gen 8 with a P222, a supported configuration. If the fan setting is set to max and it will not keep the P222 within operating temperature, you need to let HP know. Engineering Chat is the easiest way I have found to interact with them.

100% certain, that a chat with HP is a waste of my time.  It's a design flaw that can't be fixed without physical modification.  I highly doubt they would entertain the words "modification" and "warranty" in the same sentence. 

They fixed the fan issue because it was brought to their attention. 

What makes you think they know there is an issue with the temp on the P222?

That was the difference between a software issue and a hardware issue.  Aware or not, they can't fix this without a physical remedy. 

When you install a P222 into a G8 microserver, you basically create an airdam, limiting the air flow of the left-back side of the server.  The case's exhaust fan will happily pull the majority of the air from the front of the server, over the CPU, and right out the back again.  The raid card gets largely ignored by the active cooling component.  How exactly is HP's awareness of this problem going to remedy this cooling issue?  It's a matter of the case fan not being able to cool the P222 adequately, in a stock configuration.  It's a physical limit that can't be corrected with code.

The solution is hardware modification.  Even if it's as simple as adding fan.  Do you think HP is going to be ok with end users opening the case up and looking for power?  The motherboard only has one fan pin header, and I seriously doubt they would allow us to retain warranty, digging into the harness (or even tapping a molex).

I think it's worth bringing to HP's attention.....

In the meantime I think I found another use for a Schoondoggy Fan

post-1229-0-56811800-1393900084_thumb.jpg

post-1229-0-82360300-1393900195_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe_Miner

How's this..............

The PCI 1 is 62C not perfect yet but all I did was just move a fan -- an additional fan (one on the HDDs and one on the P222) might do the trick

post-1229-0-98029600-1393900951_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe_Miner