RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P222 temperature in Gen8?

tangcla

This would be a good issue to raise to HP support.

And you know their response? Raise the fan speed!

... and back to square one.

Is it even possible to raise the fan speed past "Maximum" cooling in the BIOS?  If 70% barely gets an untaxed P222 into the top-end of the thermal envelope, I don't think 100% would do jack for the card when under load.

I'm pretty sure HP engineers  overlooked the need for airflow around a stock P222 installed in the G8 microserver.  They should have included room for a card-slot cooler.....or something!

I'm pretty sure HP engineers  overlooked the need for airflow around a stock P222 installed in the G8 microserver.  They should have included room for a card-slot cooler.....or something!

Did someone say DIY case mods with a dremel?

I've already been cutting, due to HP's gooberness.  I didn't recieve a low-profile bracket for the P222.  HP doesn't sell the part.  I had to Ebay a 3rd party bracket, and breakout the dremel.  I was hopping I wouldn't be having to cut anything else.  lol

gEC5YOA.jpg

Edited by Firebaall
  • Like 1

I've already been cutting, due to HP's gooberness.  I didn't recieve a low-profile bracket for the P222.  HP doesn't sell the part.  I had to Ebay a 3rd party bracket, and breakout the dremel.  I was hopping I wouldn't be having to cut anything else.  lol

gEC5YOA.jpg

That's a nice piece of workmanship with a Dremel FireBaall!

I'm not sure it's fair to criticise HP about using a P222 in a Gen8 MicroServer. It's obviously not intended for that. While people are free to experiment all they want with their hardware, if just seems a little unfair to expect a company to cater to the fringe users.

That's a nice piece of workmanship with a Dremel FireBaall!

Thanks.  :)

I'm not sure it's fair to criticise HP about using a P222 in a Gen8 MicroServer. It's obviously not intended for that. While people are free to experiment all they want with their hardware, if just seems a little unfair to expect a company to cater to the fringe users.

I'll have to direct you to the HP pdf file that lists the p222 at THE recommended option for a SAS controller in the G8 microserver:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14565_na/14565_na.pdf

See page 16.  So, yes....it is intended, and it's been overlooked by HP.  I feel it's totally fair to criticise HP for this.  I purchased the P222 based on HP's documentation.  I don't exactly have a bunch of expensive raid cards lying around whilly-nilly, for experimentation!  ;)

Edited by Firebaall
  • Like 1