RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P222 temperature in Gen8?

tangcla

I still may see if I can take off the factory heatsink, if I find that the mounting holes will accommodate an aftermarket cooler.  I really like some of the Enzotech products, and might give one a try.

Edited by Firebaall

The operating range of the Smart Array controllers is 10c to 55c.

I still may see if I can take off the factory heatsink, if I find that the mounting holes will accommodate an aftermarket cooler.  I really like some of the Enzotech products, and might give one a try.

So what's the lowest fan speed you guys have got when running the P222?

I'm trying to determine if 26-29% is 'low' - and if not, whether it's due to the P222, or my SSD not reporting temperatures (though it seems to, I can see it's at 35 degrees C in iLO).

PS. This thread needs to be moved into the Gen8 sub-forum.

The operating range of the Smart Array controllers is 10c to 55c.

Do you have a point of reference?  If that's true, people using this in the HP G8 microserver are going have difficulty in keeping this raid card within that operating range.  This should be a significant concern, seeing that this is a factory recommended option.

Do you have a point of reference?  If that's true, people using this in the HP G8 microserver are going have difficulty in keeping this raid card within that operating range.  This should be a significant concern, seeing that this is a factory recommended option.

Just keep you Gen8 on a bed of ice :D

I measured the factory heat sink mounting holes on the P222, and it looks like they are 3.8cm centre-centre.  I haven't found a heat sink combo fan that will fit.  The back-up plan is to use the Mosfet passive heatsinks mounted with 3M thermal tape.  I won't know the P222's die size until I actually remove the factory hunk of junk cooler.

I measured the factory heat sink mounting holes on the P222, and it looks like they are 3.8cm centre-centre.  I haven't found a heat sink combo fan that will fit.  The back-up plan is to use the Mosfet passive heatsinks mounted with 3M thermal tape.  I won't know the P222's die size until I actually remove the factory hunk of junk cooler.

Wouldn't you be better off using a thermal epoxy solution instead?

Bottom of page 32:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.process/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay_ws_BI&spf_p.rid_kbDocDisplay=docDisplayResURL&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&spf_p.rst_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-resourceState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c01608507-11%257CdocLocale%253D&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Wouldn't you be better off using a thermal epoxy solution instead?

Yes, you are right.  I'm having anxiety thinking what will happen if a solid copper heat sink falls off the raid card, and lands on the motherboard.  :blink:

Thanks.  So basically, everybody using a P222 (without some modification) in the HP G8 microserver, is slowly baking their $$$$ raid cards.  Good to know!

Edited by Firebaall

Yes, you are right.  I'm having anxiety thinking what will happen if a solid copper heat sink falls off the raid card, and lands on the motherboard.  :blink:

Thanks.  So basically, everybody using a P222 (without some modification) in the HP G8 microserver, is slowly baking their $$$$ raid cards.  Good to know!

This would be a good issue to raise to HP support.